Students’ work, new lab displayed at open house

Aaron P. Carpenter- Freelance

President Mazey leads a ribon cutting in front of the Packaging and Display Lab, located behind the Technology Building. The ribbon cutting symbolized the begining of the VCT open house that took place Friday from 10:00am-3:00pm.

The Visual Communication Technology program hosted its first open house since 1990 during the weekend at the College of Technology. Alumni, VCT employers, different companies and the general public attended the event.

The open house involved showcasing students’ packaging work. The event also celebrated the opening of the new packaging and display lab located at 104 Park Avenue, just behind the College of Technology.

Senior Justin Hamaker attended the open house and said the event was really helpful for people to come to.

“The big thing for me was that they were going to have other employers here,” Hamaker said. “That’s cool because people are looking for jobs and that’s why I am here.”

The event served as an outlet for employers to get a glimpse of what the students involved with VCT are capable of and as a way for students to look into potential jobs.

University President Mary Ellen Mazey attended the VCT open house and officially opened the packaging and display lab as she cut the ribbon blocking the door to the lab with other employers.

“It’s always great to cut a ribbon because it means that we have new development and new technology, and the University is changing to meet the needs of the future,” Mazey said.

Donna Trautman, associate professor and program leader of VCT, said the packaging and display lab has been open since the beginning of the semester for students and classes to use and everything is up to speed.

“At this point we’re on the road and all of the classes are using it, so we had an official opening and we wanted to recognize some of the people that donated the equipment and materials for it with a ceremony with the president,” Trautman said.

Some of the donations and equipment given to VCT included more than $5 million worth of ArdioCAD Software in addition to packaging and display production software from Esko Artwork. A View Tech UV Press was also donated and can print up to 80 inches wide and as long as the students need, said Laney Fugett, lecturer at the College of Technology.

“The VCT packaging and display lab allows our students to learn about the packaging industry and create prototypes and learn about the corrugated industry and to find career paths in those industries as well,” Fugett said. “The packaging and display production software lets our students get experience with that software and provides them with different paths to go into the careers within packaging and display industries.”

Trautman said the packaging and display lab will let students learn the basic premise of the packaging industry and then provide them with hands on experience.

“We have integrated some curriculum into our courses and students get to learn about it and then come over to the lab and practice it,” Trautman said. “So now they have these outcomes and now their portfolios will be expanded for when they leave the University.”