Off campus, on campus living carry pros, cons for students

Students living on campus this summer will find it different than it has been in the past.

This year, students who choose to live on campus will be living in Centennial Hall rather than in Founders Hall.

Residence Life chose Centennial for summer living arrangements because it was a building that did not need important renovations, said Sarah Waters, director of Residence Life.

Centennial will host approximately 50 students living on campus for summer classes, Waters said.

The University accommodates up to 21,000 students on an average school year, according to the University website. During the course of the summer, the University has an enrollment of almost 6,500 students, according to the University website.

“For the most part, students take classes because it is easier for them to balance their schedule during the summer,” said Troy Spikes, coordinator for Conference and Guest services.

Although students have the option to live on campus for summer courses, most students choose to live off campus.

“I chose to live off campus because for me there is more privacy and it’s easier for me to study,” said Amber Howard, a sophomore human development and family studies major.

Most students choose to live off campus because it is more affordable for them than living on campus.

“It’s cheaper for me to live off campus,” said Clarisse Bailey, a senior human development and family studies major. “Plus, it is my third year living off campus, it would be weird for me to come back.”

Subleasing an apartment seems like the more affordable option for students, Howard said.

To live on campus during the summer, it’s $155 for a double bedroom and $185 for a single bedroom for students per week, Spikes said.

The majority of students think subleasing an apartment during the summer is more affordable than living on campus, Waters said.

The Office of Residence Life looks to make living on campus for students more flexible and proximate compared to living off campus, she said.

Although some students find subleasing during the summer is more affordable, the Office of Residence Life tries to adapt to students’ schedules during the summer.

“If a student is only taking classes during a six week session, they can leave at the end of the session,” Waters said, “Unlike if a student were to sublease they would have to do it for the full summer.”

Residence Life works to make sure it can be flexible and provide services the students will need during the summer sessions such as 24-hour availability of staff, Spikes said.

Unlike in the fall or spring, summer sessions don’t have residence assistants for the students living on campus. Instead, the conference programs staff is available to students living on campus during the summer, he said. They are available from 7 a.m. to midnight, and by phone during the remaining hours.

Some students want to live on campus during the summer to gain more of a college living experience, said Sally Bae, a senior radiology major.

“I feel like it’s for the younger [students],” Bailey said. “I feel as if a parent is more prone to let their child take courses during the summer if they have a place on campus to live.”