Fashion show utilizes thrifted, pre-owned clothing

Color of a New Era Fashion Show, hosted by the University’s Fadwatch organization, will take place Saturday.

The show will feature bright colors, current trends and will be a mix of dressy and casual wear, said Cierra Henderson, president of Fadwatch.

Fadwatch is an organization on campus whose purpose is to “promote originality and self-confidence through the enrichment of fashion,” according to its Facebook page.

Color of a New Era will be held in Olscamp 101. The doors will open at 7 p.m., and the show begins at 8 p.m. Tickets are $10 at the door and $7 presale. Presale tickets can be purchased Friday at the Union tables from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Half of the proceeds from the show will go to support a Bowling Green organization that brings awareness to the seriousness of eating disorders, said Henderson.

The show will showcase 26 models in color schemes of reds, blues, yellows, prints and neutrals. Most of the models are freshmen and sophomores.

The show is very diverse, said Bianca Nixon, a senior and a model in the show.

“There is no specific body type, all of the models have a different shape and look,” Nixon said.

Other fashion shows on campus focus more on entertainment and talent than fashion, Henderson said.

“The difference between this show and other fashion shows on campus is that ours is strictly fashion,” Henderson said.

The outfits are a mix of recreated pieces and items that the models already had, said Megan Beebe, the show’s stylist.

“You can expect to see a lot of edgy, modern, spring looks at this show,” Beebe said.

Beebe’s created looks for many of the models.

“A lot of the items that will be worn came from Goodwill and were recreated into something totally new,” Beebe said.

Beebe tried to make sure that there was no repetition in the outfits and that every piece was different from the next.

Five of the board members for this show are Apparel Merchandising majors, including Henderson.

“We utilized what we learned in class to prepare for this show,” Henderson said.

Of all the fashion shows she has done, this is one of her favorite, Nixon said.

“The outfits are very creative, but realistic,” she said.

The show will give a lot of people ideas on how to wear something in a different way and not spend a lot of money, Nixon said.

Color of a New Era will be Fadwatch’s 7th show.

Everyone should come out and support; it is going to be a good show, said sophomore, Shamiah Woods, a model.

This is Woods’ first fashion show for Fadwatch, though she has been in others on campus.

“The choreography is simple and elegant, but people can expect to see a lot of energy,” Woods said.

There will be a Best Dressed Competition during the show’s intermission.

“We want to give people the opportunity to dress up and express themselves with other people who love fashion,” Henderson said.