Chick-fil-A’s food is controversial, yet tasty

I am disappointed with Chick-fil-A – and it’s not because I bit into a limp waffle fry.

The Christian fast food chain has given money to foundations considered anti-gay, The BG News reported this past Wednesday, Feb. 15.

The chain does not hire those in the LGBT community, others have said, which is why it may not be one of the new eating options in the Falcon’s Nest this fall.

First of all, to deny employment to a specific group is discriminatory by law.

Second, what Chick-fil-A is allegedly doing is not what loving Christians should do regarding the issue of homosexuality.

There is a difference between pointing out that the act of homosexuality is a sin determined by God and hating someone because of their practice of it.

Some Christians forget that in God’s eyes there is no degree of sin – to Him is equal. The act of homosexuality shouldn’t be any different to believers.

The acts of homosexuality are like telling a lie in God’s eyes, said one of my friends. Another one of my friends said Christians should point out the sin as being disliked – not the person who practices it.

For example, someone could have a problem with lying, but no one hates him for being a liar.

Some Christians fail to remember this because homosexuality is more widely known and accepted today.

Some Christian groups give the issue more attention than it should have. The Westboro Baptist Church, considered an extremist group, has fallen into this trap.

It actively protests against homosexuality at funeral services of war veterans (some of whom I’ve heard were not even gay).

Christian groups should focus on sharing the gospel of Jesus Christ to the world.

There are better ways of pointing out that the acts of homosexuality are a sin than those of street preachers, but Christians shouldn’t sugarcoat what God’s word says about it. After that, they should continue to love people in the LGBT community.

It’s fine if Christians disagree with the group’s views spiritually, but that doesn’t mean they should automatically hate them or that they should have reason to.

I have colleagues who are members of the LGBT community, and we will disagree. But, that doesn’t mean I hate them – I just don’t take a part in their lifestyle. I greet them the same way I greet my heterosexual colleagues.

Even though I have struggled with it in the past, I treat the two groups the same.

Christians should be loving to the LGBT community in a way that they invite it in. Christians should encourage the group that the alternative they offer to the group’s acts is a much better option. And, if members of the group don’t want to conform, pray for them and move on. Don’t exile and hate them.

This is my problem with Chick-fil-A, if the rumor about them not hiring gays is true.

The four Gospels in the New Testament of the Bible document Jesus’ interactions with sinful people. He dined with tax collectors and talked to prostitutes.

Those people at that time were considered the “scourge of the earth,” much like how the LGBT community is treated today.

Yet, Jesus encouraged those people, along with the Jews, to turn away from their sins, and he offered His father’s glorious kingdom to them.

Christians do the kingdom of God no good if they are only witnessing exclusively and not to those they consider spiritually dead.

Chick-fil-A locations should hire non-Christians so they can show the love of Christ and minister to them.

On the issue of anti-gay foundations, I can relate with the LGBT community to an extent. I would feel offended about eating at a restaurant that donated money to the KKK.

But, we can’t always compare race with sexuality.

The two can be compared in the Chick-fil-A case because it’s in a social context. In other cases, the two are incompatible in the Christian and spiritual context of sins.

I stand neutral on the University’s decision to bring in Chick-fil-A.

In the end, I will still enjoy the eatery’s waffle fries, but that doesn’t necessarily mean I agree with its views.

Respond to Phillip at