BG hockey looking to repeat upset in playoffs this weekend

Byron Mack

Marc Rodriguez, BG forward, sets up to shoot the puck into the net. At the Falcons’ most recent series at home against Michigan, BG made history with 5,031 people in attendance.

Can the Falcons do it again? This is the question BG hockey fans are asking.

The BG hockey team will once again play Northern Michigan in the first round of the Central Collegiate Hockey Association playoffs this weekend. The Falcons pulled off the upset victory last season; now it’s time to see if they can bring back that magic.

Coach Chris Bergeron said he believes the win against Michigan last weekend will help his team’s confidence heading into this weekend’s playoff series.

“I think it’s the most consistent we have played,” Bergeron said. “We all feel it was good to get a result. We definitely earned it.”

Three streaks snapped

It was a big weekend, with the Falcons snapping streaks that weren’t positive ones. The first snapped was a four-game losing streak that dated back to the Northern Michigan series (Feb. 10).

Cam Wojtala’s power-play goal snapped a nine-game power-play scoring drought. Before this goal, the last time the Falcons scored a power-play goal was on Jan. 10 against Alaska-Fairbanks.

The Falcons did not give up a power-play goal on Friday night, which snapped a five-game streak. Before Friday, the Jan. 21 game against the Nanooks was the last time the Falcons didn’t allow a power-play goal.

Let the goals keep coming

With a 4-3 win against Michigan Friday night, it was the first time since Nov. 19 against Miami that BG scored four goals in a game. This streak lasted 20 games.

Carpenter still on top

Freshman forward Ryan Carpenter is leading the team in points this season with 21. His assist in Friday’s game against Michigan tied him with the Falcons’ leading scorer last season, Jordan Samuels-Thomas, who finished with nine goals and 12 assists.

Significant wins

The win last weekend extended goalie Andrew Hammond’s win total to 10 on the season. His previous career high for a season was six wins.

The win also let coach Bergeron reach 20 wins as the BG hockey coach. He now has a record of 20-48-9 overall and 8-40-8 in league play.