Track to compete in MAC Championships

Jeanette Pettigrew, BG runner, sprints down the track during the Tom Wright Classic at the Perry Field House on Jan. 27.

The BG track and field returns to action this weekend for the Mid-American Conference indoor championship meet. 

This will be the Falcons’ second consecutive meet at the University of Akron, the first being two weeks ago for the Akron Invitational.

The team had the past weekend off to prepare for the Mid-American Conference indoor championships. 

“Its nice having a weekend off,” said coach Lou Snelling. “It helps us jump start our focus and to be as healthy as possible for the upcoming meet.”

This meet will showcase BG’s best talent for the chance of a MAC championship and a possible NCAA championship invite. 

“We are going to expect some pretty good individual performances from a small group of girls,” Snelling said. “We are expecting those girls to perform at their highest potential.”

Though there is a select group that the coaches have high expectations for, the whole team will have chances to win at this weekend’s championship meet.

“It’s a championship,” Snelling said. “Hopefully we’ll see others step up.”

After this weekend’s championship in Akron, the team will have one more indoor meet, the Alex Wilson Invitational at the University of Notre Dame, for one last chance to qualify for the NCAA championship meet at the Idaho Center in Nampa, Idaho.