Newly-released action video games excite users

Instead of studying, some students will be spending hours blowing enemies away in “Black Ops 2” next week.

Games like “Black Ops 2” have become much more complex and story-driven through the years, said Charles Coletta, an instructor in the Popular Culture department.

“People used to think video games would die out, but they have become part of culture,” Coletta said.

Video games are also popular for online play because it gives the user the ability to play with people all over the world, Coletta said.

Games are a fantasy the user can be involved in, said Nancy Down, head librarian of the Browne Popular Culture library.

“They are more active than watching a movie or reading a book; you can control the outcome,” Down said.

Juniors Matt Miller and Tyler Willaman are both excited for the games “Assassin’s Creed 3” and “Call of Duty: Black Ops 2.”

“We are both fans of the series,” Willaman said.

“Assassin’s Creed 3” is an open-world stealth game where the player plays an important role during the American Revolution, according to the game’s website.

“Black Ops 2” is a first-person shooter war game based in the near future.

Senior Stephen Wilush is also excited for “Black Ops 2.”

“I like how the graphics are improved and everything looks more streamlined,” Wilush said. “It’s also cool how, in the multiplayer, more points are awarded for actions considered helpful to your teammates.”

Sophomore Jake Kinsey said he was also excited for this fall’s new video games.

“I was excited to play ‘NBA2K13’ because I like basketball and I have played the previous games,” Kinsey said.

“NBA2K13” is a game that allows the player to compete in a basketball game, playing as any professional NBA team, according to the website.

“Borderlands 2” and “NBA2K13” are the most popular games this fall at the C&C Game store downtown, said employee Joshua Ballmer.

“I believe customization and the ability to interact with others makes them more popular,” Ballmer said.

Some popular games like these can be picked up at midnight if someone can’t wait to get the game until the actual day of release, but not a lot of people use this option at C&C Games.

“I only had 12 people show up for ‘Halo 4’ at midnight,” Ballmer said. “I had double that during the day.”

Some users play the game for the interactive experience.

“Video games are an immersive experience,” Coletta said. “You are in the game.”