Nearby Toledo provides students access to ‘best of both worlds’

For those wanting entertainment outside of Bowling Green, Toledo may be the venue for them within 20 miles.

Although the city has had a depressed reputation in the past, Editor of the lifestyle website Toledo.com John Eikost said he has seen innovative and creative people in recent years.

“They’re working toward making the most of what we have,” Eikost said.

For people who live close to the city, Eikost said it is about taking matters into their own hands in terms of finding things to do.

“There is more of an attitude of young people who just are kind of tired of people saying there is nothing to do here and are being self-reliant enough to make things happen,” Eikost said.

Junior Jordan Barhorst, who works for Toledo.com, said he loves the proximity of Toledo to Bowling Green.

“We have the best of both worlds and only have to travel a short distance to have access to city events,” Barhorst said. “The big city vibe is a great supplement to the small-town feel of BG and really gives everyone an opportunity to enjoy whatever they want to.”

For some artistic people, Toledo may offer cheaper and more available gallery space than other big cities.

“I think for people who want to start those kind of endeavors, rather than having a harder road in a bigger city, there is a network in place here where people are enthusiastic and will help you put the pieces together and make things happen,” Eikost said.

Eikost said an art gallery called Bozarts and an art organization called Circle 2445 specifically engage a younger demographic.

“I think when you are talking about students in general, they appreciate that more real, soulful offering, rather than something that is exclusive or pricey,” Eikost said. “Based on that, I think that some of these organizations are realizing that when they can appeal to the younger crowds, they can help sustain themselves.”

Sophomore Tessa Carson said she enjoys going to Toledo’s Museum of Art because everything except the special exhibits are free and she could spend an entire day in the museum and still not see everything.

Carson said she likes the glass pavilion where people can watch glass being blown and how the art is rotated on a regular basis.

“You can always find something new,” Carson said.

Every week, Toledo.com publishes Toledo’s top five events of that week, ranging from concerts to festivals to movies.

Toledo also hosts concerts and plays.

In the coming three months, Martina McBride, ZZ Top, Uncle Kracker, Trans-Siberian Orchestra, Never Shout Never and Toby Mac will perform in and around the Toledo area, according to Toledo.com.

While he said there is always room for improvement in the music scene, Eikost said he enjoys Mickey Finns and Ottawa Tavern for local live music.

In addition to concerts, the Toledo Symphony, Billy Elliot The Musical, A Christmas Carol, Blue Man Group and Disney on Ice will also be performed.

Shopping and dining are also readily available around Toledo.

Carson said the shop Cup in a Cake is amazing.

“San Marcos Supermercado is by far the best hidden gem in the city, in my opinion,” Barhorst said. “What starts out as a fun little Mexican supermarket opens up into one of, if not the best, Mexican restaurant in the city. Definitely a must-have for anyone who lives in the area.”

From his experience, Barhorst said Toledo is a good place for students to get started on their career.

Eikost said Toledo.com has many interns from the University.

“There are many large companies that call Toledo home and can really open the door for a lot of people in the business world,” Barhorst said.

Barhorst said it can be difficult to be passionate about Toledo, until one becomes immersed in the city.

“It’s not a city you hear people scrambling to visit, but that’s almost the beauty in it,” Barhorst said. “The art scene is fantastic, the music scene is fantastic and it’s very close to Bowling Green. As a student, that true small town-meets-big city tandem just can’t be beat.”

Eikost said people have to be willing to search for the interesting aspects of Toledo.

“If someone is just going to sit there on their couch and expect it to find them, you are probably going to feel like Toledo is not this happening spot,” Eikost said. “It’s been my experience that when you actually get up and do something and you have a chance to meet people, you start to find out about these things that are going on.”