The Attic, One 49 offer Country Night

Country lovers can go out and enjoy a rustic atmosphere at two of Bowling Green’s best-known clubs, The Attic and One 49, with Country Night.

Eric Pelham, owner of The Attic and 2002 Bowling Green graduate, said that The Attic has hosted Country Night every Wednesday for the past three and a half years.

“The Attic used to be what was called the Junction,” Pelham said. “They started the tradition and when we took over we decided to continue it, so there’s been a country night in this place for over 15 years.”

The Attic offers drink specials and pool, however the main event is the line dancing and country music played all night by DJ Mike Treon, who is a senior at the University majoring in high school math education.

“I just love the interaction with everybody,” he said.

Treon also decided to create the Twitter account, @BGCountryNight, so that students could tweet their song requests instead of having to fight the crowd.

Pelham said the Attic’s Country Night is growing consistently and has a very laid back atmosphere.

“We want it to be the place to be on Wednesday night,” Pelham said. “This is the original country night.”

Senior Janie Rauscher has been enjoying the Attic’s Country Night since last fall.

“My favorite part is all of the people there and the line dancing,” she said. “It’s been around for a really long time.”

Rauscher has also been to One 49’s country night once or twice, and said that it is a different scene and has more room, however it will take a while to get the word out about it because it is still fairly new.

“I like the establishment even if it’s not country night,” she said.

Derek Earl, owner of One 49 and 2011 Bowling Green graduate, said that the bar’s Country Night on Thursdays has now been official for about six weeks.

The idea for the event came about as the usual customers and staff consistently requested for country music to be played on Thursday nights, Earl said.

“After several weeks, it was suggested by staff members to officially have a country night for our bar,” Earl said. “So with the go ahead from the owner, Rick Ault Sr., One 49 North created an atmosphere that we thought would be suitable for this crowd,”

Radio station 103.7 WCKY had joined to help promote country night for a period of time, but DJ Victor Layton, a junior at the University, now picks what music to play.

Layton said that he loves his job and will play any country song that is requested, old or new.

Junior Kyle Webb said that he loves to come and play pool with his friends on country night and listen to the music.

One 49 offers activities such as corn hole, shuffleboard, darts and pool, and also offers drink specials for Country Night.

“For the most part, everybody loves country music,” Earl said. “And it’s nice to have a break from the overplayed hits you hear every weekend at the bars.”

Country nights are every Wednesday at The Attic and every Thursday at One 49, and both events start at 10:00 p.m. For more information about the Attic or One 49, visit their Facebook pages or go to the Attic’s website at http://www.citytapandtheattic.com/.