Weight loss doesn’t have to be painful

The scale and I have never been friends. However, now that I’ve begun to lose weight, we are not so much enemies as acquaintances.

Since the beginning of summer, I’ve lost at least 20 pounds, dropped two pants sizes and guess what? I am not a gym member, I don’t run and I eat practically whatever I want, whenever I want.

I realize that this sounds insane, but I promise I’m not lying. I’m no health expert, but I certainly found a rhythm that suits me.

The first thing I learned while trying to lose weight was that it isn’t necessarily what you eat so much as how much you eat that really affects you. I still eat cookies and other junk food, but I eat them in moderation. Before, I would chow down on a bag of Swedish Fish, devouring a good portion of it.

Now I know better. I’ll eat a handful or two and save the rest for later. This small thing is applicable to other aspects of eating habits as well.

One method of eating is all-you-can-eat feasting.

Yes, it is cheaper and you can eat practically whatever you want, but please do not make pigging out at these places habitual. Over-eating is the quickest way to gain weight.

With that in mind, I want to teach you a quick trick I’ve picked up. When you’re eating, do you ever notice that you give a hearty sigh, but you don’t really feel full? When you notice this, stop eating. Give your body time to realize it isn’t hungry anymore. After about twenty minutes, if you still feel hungry, you can eat more. But as I said before, over-eating is awful for you.

Albeit I do eat some unhealthy things, I still manage to add healthiness to my diet.

Apples, my favorite snack, fulfill my sweet craving on a daily basis.

If you enjoy salad and other stereotypical healthy foods such as oranges, blueberries, carrots and avocado, you can utilize these foods to fulfill your cravings in a positive way.

Adding healthy snacks can help you slim down by curbing your appetite and replacing excessive amounts of fat and sugar in your life.

An important thing you can do to lose weight is eat breakfast. Eating breakfast jump-starts your metabolism and gets your body going at the beginning of the day.

If you skip this meal, your metabolic rate will not be as efficient as it could be.

Another way to keep from overeating is to learn the difference between when you’re hungry and when you’re dehydrated. Dehydration causes your body to crave liquid. Since most food we eat has liquid properties, you might take this hankering for water as a desire for food.

However, this is not the case. Learning the difference between a need for water and a need for food will save you quite a few calories. Personally, I make sure I stay hydrated constantly.

In order to do this, I looked up online how much water I’m supposed to drink (at least 64 fluid ounces a day) and I drink at least that much. If I do a lot of strenuous activities, though, I drink more to balance out the water I lost.

It is advised you do workout a little bit. If you don’t do anything at all, then there is a chance you can become unhappy with your life. Your life satisfaction will dwindle if you sit around all the time and do nothing. Exercise really does make you happy, so it really isn’t that much to go on a walk or do sit-ups every other night. Light exercises will aid you in maintaining a good physique, too.

One of my favorite lightweight activities is hula hooping. It’s extremely convenient and makes multitasking a simple feat.

I can read, listen to music, watch TV and even have a nice chat while I’m working out. There is no panting or sweating involved; thus, you don’t even feel like you’re truly working out.

Simply put, losing weight isn’t impossible; it merely requires determination and patience. If you set your mind to it, you can lose weight and also maintain a healthy weight through minor tweaks in your life.

Small changes can create a huge impact. If I can do it, so can you.

You just have to find what works for yourself and run with it.

Good luck!

Respond to Lydia at