BG football team looks to take down Akron for second consecutive victory

The Falcons will get back in Mid-American Conference play this Saturday as they travel to Akron to take on the Zips as they search for their 500th win in program history.

Despite Akron being in the MAC East like the Falcons, the two teams haven’t met since 2009 and the Falcons lead the series, 11-7. The Falcons are also 5-4 when traveling to Akron, and hasn’t done so since 2008.

This will not be the first MAC game for either team, but it will be the first for BG since the Falcons lost to Toledo three weeks ago. Akron also will bring an 0-1 conference record to the contest as they fell in a shootout with Miami last week, 56-49.

Coming off a huge win, the Falcons will look to string back-to-back wins for the first time since early last season when they defeated Idaho and FCS school Morgan State. Morgan State also is the culprit to Akron’s only win so far this season, as they blew out the Bears 66-6 and brought the Zips to their current 1-4 record.

The Falcons win against Rhode Island set season highs in all positive categories. These include points, first downs, rushing yards, passing yards and total yards.

Running back Anthon Samuel had a great day, scoring three touchdowns off just 17 carries. The run game was a huge aspect of keeping the Falcons offense moving. Samuel is now 25th all-time in school rushing yards in only his sophomore season with 1,221. He had won the MAC Freshman of the Year this past season. In his career, he has had seven 100-yard running games in only 14 games.

Quarterback Matt Schilz is also nearing some school records thanks to this past week, in only his junior season. He now stands sixth in both touchdowns and passing yards and fifth in both passing attempts and completions.

The Falcons are soaring offensively as five different players are in double-digit receptions. Chris Gallon, Shaun Joplin and Ryan Burbrink lead the wide receiving corps.

After this past week’s route of the Rams, it is hard to find a dark spot for the Falcons. The special teams may perhaps be that spot. Despite punter Brian Schmiedebusch averaging 42.1 yards a punt and Boo Boo Gates’ 80-yard punt return for a touchdown, the kicking team still dominates the focus. Kickers Stephen Stein and Tyler Tate have combined for only one made field goal on five attempts and are only 11-for-13 on extra points.

Akron may have a disappointing record just like the Falcons at this point but the Zips and the Falcons have lost to quality opponents. BG lost to Florida, Toledo and Virginia Tech while boasting a 2-3 record, whereas the Zips lost a blowout University of Central Florida 59-14, an overtime loss to Florida International, a tough loss to Tennessee 47-26 and most recently lost to Miami. Both teams will only face off with MAC opponents from here on out. Akron is currently sixth in the MAC East and BG is fourth.

Although most games in a losing effort, Akron’s quarterback Dalton Williams has already racked up 14 touchdowns on 1679 yards passing. Falcons defensive tackle Chris Jones will be looking for his number. Jones has 5.5 sacks already this season and led the MAC in the category this past season.

The game will set the tone for both teams as it will begin to sort out the best from the rest in the MAC, as both teams will look for titles. The game kicks-off at 2 p.m. in Akron.