Marco’s Pizza serves up slices in Union Falcon’s Nest

Adam Pohl and Adam Pohl

Sometimes when students are in between classes, it may be more convenient to grab an individual slice of pizza rather than a whole one.

However, Marco’s Pizza, new at the Union this year, only sells individual slices from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Bringing Marco’s to campus, along with the other new restaurants at the Union this year, was a joint decision between the University’s Dining Services and Chartwells.

Marco’s replaced 2mato 2night as the pizza place in the Union this fall.

“Marco’s is a bit slower than 2mato but has better quality food,” said senior Kerry Dougherty, a Marco’s employee. “I worked at 2mato last year too; 2mato was Chartwells’ version of a generic pizza place. Marco’s is a real franchise. Marco’s has experienced a good reception at the University and is one of the highest grossing places in the Union.”

Dougherty said Marcos will accommodate students who are pressed for time.

“Students have places to be, so selling individual slices is a big deal. Buying an individual slice is better than waiting 10 minutes on a 10 inch pizza,” Dougherty said. “We’re also open the latest of any place on campus.”

Marco’s and Papa John’s were the contenders for the space in the Union.

“Papa John’s was the original choice to put in the Union,” Undergraduate Student Government President Alex Solis said. “But there were problems compromising between Papa John’s and Chartwells.”

Mike Paulus, director of Dining Services, described the negotiation process as a way to attract the most students.

“Dining Services assesses the brands in its portfolio on an annual basis, and looks for brands that are attractive to the 18 to 24 demographic,” Paulus said. “We want to bring a unique market to campus that students can’t get anywhere else. Neither franchise wanted to sell individual slices, but we negotiated with Marco’s to allow that service,” Paulus said.

Selling pizza by the slice is not a part of Marco’s traditional menu.

Dining Services negotiated the sale of individual slices to provide a grab-and-go option for students, get students through line quickly and ease congestion at lunchtime.

Selling individual slices past lunchtime would be redundant because there is a full service menu at Marco’s, Paulus said.

Paulus said Dining Services would consider changing the hours during which individual slices are sold if Marco’s had the need to speed up the line beyond lunchtime.

“I think Marco’s is definitely better than 2mato,” said junior Brittany Knisely. “Marco’s is slower than 2mato because it’s getting a lot more business than 2mato did.”