Women’s soccer hosts UB

If the players on the women’s soccer team were nervous in their final practice before the playoffs, they didn’t show it.

The players joked around, but were also focused yesterday as they prepared for today’s game against Buffalo. Falcons coach Andy Richards said he thinks the team is right where they should be emotionally.

“They have been loose and having fun at practice, and that’s a very good sign,” Richards said. “We’re are not overconfident, but we know we can win.”

Jill Conover said that while the team is somewhat nervous about the playoffs, they are also very confident.

“I think we’re nervous, of course, anyone would be,” Conover said. “I think we’re excited and we believe in ourselves as a team. I think we are just going to go out there and play like we always do.”

Conover and the other seniors are facing some extra pressure in the postseason, knowing that every game they play could be their last in college. Tracy Gleixner said that while the seniors are going to miss playing after the season, it won’t affect their play in the playoffs.

“I think everyone is just going to go out there and do what they can to keep the season going,” Gleixner said. “We are going to miss certain things and be afraid for it to end…but everyone will work hard to try to keep it going.

Buffalo ended the season on a three game winning streak. The streak included wins on the road at Kent, and a home win against Ohio. The Bulls finished the season with a 7-7-5 overall record, and a 5-5-2 record in the Mid-American Conference. An especially strong home team, their only loss at home came when they were defeated 2-1 by the Falcons. Buffalo was only 2-5 on the road.

Gleixner said she is expecting the Bulls to come out aggressively, and perhaps be looking to avenge their only home loss of the season.

“Obviously they will come out to win,” Gleixner said. “They have players on their team who don’t want their seasons or careers to end, just like our team. But I think as long as we play like we can, we’ll be all right.”

Richards said that BG will need a strong performance from everyone on the team to advance to the next round. He said that the depth of the team has been a major strength this season.

“What has been great about the team this year is that all sorts of people have stepped up,” Richards said. “You don’t know where the goal is going to come from, and you only need one.”

Richards said the only player who is not available to play tomorrow is Leah Eggleton.

The game will start at 2 p.m. at Cochrane Field.