Falcons ready to start training camp

Avid BG sports fans may have noticed a “countdown to the big game” on the Bowling Green Athletic home page. But before the home opener versus Minnesota, which according to the “countdown” is 54 days, eight hours and six minutes away, coaches and players are gearing up for three weeks of training camp.

Sunday Aug. 3 marks the official beginning of the college football season, as players and coaches report to “The Doyt” for training camp.

Offensive line coach and running game coordinator Matt Campbell is preparing for training camp by taking a look back at last season.

“I use the summer to think about our team’s strengths and weaknesses,” Campbell said. “It is important to study old film and see where the team can improve.”

Although spring and early summer are considered football’s off season, it’s unlikely that any coaches or players take too much time away from the game.

“Just because we aren’t playing does not mean there isn’t work to do. Players are responsible to maintain their fitness throughout the summer and coaches are busy scheduling training camp and installing new plays,” Campbell said.

Starting quarterback and junior Tyler Sheehan is working out with fellow teammates in preparation for the upcoming camp.

“All summer I look forward to training camp, and then about two weeks into it, I am ready for the whole thing to be over,” Sheehan said. “I am ready to play.”

Sheehan should be comfortable with training camp, since it was just last year that he walked into camp, having never thrown for more than 100 yards in a game, and won the starting position.

“Training camp is our opportunity as coaches to evaluate the talent on our roster and fill in holes left by graduating players,” Campbell said. “It’s also an opportunity for young players to challenge veterans for starting spots.”

The beginning of training camp is also an exciting time for Falcon fans.

“Our training camp is open to the public, it is nice to see our fans come out to the field to support us,” Campbell added.

Training camp opens Aug. 3 at Doyt L. Perry stadium. The team’s first practice in full pads is scheduled for Aug. 4.