Falcon softball swept in mid-week doubleheader against Western Michigan

Jack Walsh
Bowling Green, OH – Falcons Junior Pitcher Scarlet Anderson (34)swinging at the ball at Meserve Field in Bowling Green, Ohio

The Bowling Green Falcons were swept in the mid-week doubleheader against the Western Michigan Broncos 11-0 and 2-0. 

GAME ONE

The Falcons dropped game one of the doubleheader 11-0 against the Western Michigan Broncos. 

In the bottom of the first inning, the Broncos put runners on first and third with no outs for Riley Dittmar. Dittmar then singled hard through the left side to score the game’s first run. During the next at-bat, 26 hit a sacrifice fly to score the next run of the inning while also moving Dittmar to third. In the next at-bat, a run down in between first and second base allowed Dittmar to score from third and give Western Michigan a 3-0 lead.  

With two outs in the bottom of the second inning, hit a solo home run over the right-field wall to put the Broncos up 4-0. 

In the bottom of the third inning with runners on second and third, a ground ball to the second baseman was bobbled and both runs scored but the out was made at second base. Good base running from the Broncos have Western Michigan a 6-0 lead after three. 

The Broncos kept the pressure on in the bottom of the fourth inning putting runners on second and third with two outs. A pop-up hit in front of home plate went unfielded and both runners scored putting the Broncos up 8-0. During the next at-bat, a pop-up hit to shortstop was dropped which allowed another run to score and make it 9-0. Later in the inning, a 2-RBI double gave the Broncos an 11-0 lead after four. All five runs that scored in the inning were unearned. 

The Falcons were unable to score in the top of the fifth inning which gave the Broncos the 11-0 victory due to run rule. 

GAME TWO

In game two of the doubleheader, the Falcons lost 2-0 to the Broncos.

In the bottom of the third inning, the Broncos loaded the bases with no outs, threatening to score the first runs of the ball game. Mackenzie Krafcik was the pitcher for the Falcons and got a 5-2-3 double play to give the Falcons a chance to get out of the inning. With two outs Riley Chumbley hit a 2-RBI single to score the game’s first two runs and give the Broncos a 2-0 lead after three innings. 

The game was a pitchers’ duel as Krafcik, Alyvia Roth and Emma Denison pitched the game for the Falcons and held the Broncos to just two runs. 

The Broncos pitched Kailey O’Conner and Rissa Bajusz which held the Falcons to zero runs through the entire game. 

Western Michigan secured the 2-0 victory completing, the sweep of the doubleheader.