Coach’s corner with Garry Winger

After a disappointing eighth place finish in the Mid-

American Conference Tourn-ament, Men’s Golf Coach Garry Winger has his team poised for a strong run this fall.

Q: With four players graduating, will it be hard to compete in tournaments this year?

A: We signed two excellent players this year, and we can have up to 10 players on the team, with five kids traveling to tournaments.

Q: Take me through the process of recruiting players.

A: It’s really hectic. A normal week consists of making trips to summer American Junior Golf Association tournaments that feature the best ranked kids in the country. Players are ranked based on their abilities and coaches from all the schools in the country recruit them.

Q: How do you choose the players you want on the team?

A: Their ability as golfers is important, but it is also important to see how players conduct themselves and how they act with a lead. It is also important that my players are commit ted to the game. Golf is the only sport in the world that you can’t be perfect in. You can always be a stroke better.

Q: How does a golf team practice: hitting balls at the driving range or actually playing rounds of golf?

A: Each player is different; some guys like hitting balls while others like going out to Stone Ridge Country Club where we practice to play a round.

Q: What are your expectations for the upcoming year?

A: This year should be a really fun one. We are a very young team, so I will be coaching a lot more because younger players tend to need more instruction than older players. I am really looking forward to a positive year.