McCain, Obama rep., debate at National Forum on Disability Issues

The National Forum on Disability Issues converged in Columbus on the 18th anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act being signed into law, outlawing discrimination against people with disabilities.

PBS moderator Judy Woodruff interviewed presumptive presidential candidate Sen. John McCain of Arizona and Sen. Tom Harkin of Iowa, who filled in for Sen. Barack Obama while he was on a European tour.

Each candidate took time to outline their plans to secure funding for the disabled, since nearly 32 million people with disabilities are of voting age.

Marc Williams, a social worker and disabilities activist of Pickaway County, Ohio, calls people with disabilities the largest American minority.

“It is very important for the candidates to work with the disabled because they are becoming a coalition,” Williams said.

For Sen. McCain, who was introduced via satellite, capturing the disabled vote may be an uphill climb, as many people with disabilities tend to lean toward the left because of their perceived investment in social programs, such as Social Security Disabilities Income and Medicaid.

During his opening statement and interview, McCain tried to clarify his position to the 800 people in attendance and the thousands following via Internet.

Sen. Tom Harkin campaigned heavily for the presumptive Democratic nominee. Harkin argued that if Sen. John McCain were to be elected, he could potentially nominate one or two U.S. Supreme Court justices, who in turn could continue to cut funding for disabled people.

McCAIN

-McCain clarified his stance on the Community Choice Act introduced by Sen. Tom Harkin, which allows persons with disabilities to choose where they live. He said he’s committed to pursuing a model where “the money follows the person,” but he doesn’t support the current legislation because of cost.

-McCain argued that spending is rampant and has made Congress corrupt.

-McCain publicly came out in support of ADA Restoration Legislation. “I support the House Bill, and I plan to support a Senate version as well,” McCain said.

HARKIN

-Harkin said the Community Choice Act would only cost between $3 and $4 billion, an amount he said is equivalent to about one week’s spending on the war in Iraq.

-Harkin argued that the American Disabilities Amendment has been weakened by strict interpretations of so called “activist conservative” judges.

-Harkin praised Senator Obama for his plan to roll out Universal Health Care within two years.

-Harkin wants to let Social Security Income and Social Security Disabilities Income serve as a safety net while still allowing people to make as much as four times the poverty level without losing their benefits.