Coach’s corner with Fred Thompson

This week the BG News sits down with Men’s Soccer Coach Fred Thompson

Q: With a more experienced team this year, what are your expectations for the upcoming season?

A: We are definitely excited, we’ve been hinting for a few years now and last year was first year in four that we’ve had players from each class. Experience should play a factor in our success.

Q: Why is soccer having such a hard time catching on as a mainstream American sport?

A: I believe soccer is an international sport that America is catching up on. Soccer’s come along way in America, many kids play at a young age, but the sport is having a difficult time catching on at the professional level.

Q: How do you facilitate all of the international players on the team?

A: We have a great structure set up for our international players; it can be difficult sometimes for student athletes to come from a different country. There is definitely an adjustment period, but the athletic department has done a good job setting up supports for freshmen and international players.

Q: How important is Jacob Lawrence to the team’s midfield and attack?

A: He is very important. Jacob has a big body and is great in the air. He may not be the quintessential athlete but he gets the job done.

Q: The team’s home form was solid last year but the road was a different story. What can the team do to win more road games?

A: In any sport it is hard to win on the road, whether it’s the travel, the away fans or any other factor. With an experienced team and good defense I expect us to perform well on the road this year.

Q: How can fans play a role at a soccer game?

A: Soccer is great because it gives the fans an open forum to express their creativity and passion for their team. Turn on an international soccer match and you will find fans with their faces painted beating drums and chanting song. It would be great to see something like that here on campus when we open up play on August 23.