Volunteers bring Shakespeare to the Bowling Green community

Beautiful Kids Independent Shakespeare Company is gearing up for its sixth annual presentation of Shakespeare In The Park.

This year’s production is a revival of the 1600 Shakespeare play, “Much Ado mAbout Nothing,” which is a comedic love story set in the 1940s during World War II.

Director Aimee Reid, a University alumna who was the first ever to graduate with a degree in Youth Theater, said the idea to hold a show in the summer was a way to keep actors busy while school was out.

“Beautiful Kids has a long standing tradition of performing Shakespeare, and we felt the University was not providing enough classical theater,” Reid said.

Producer Tyler Ward said the plays have always been student run, and this year is no different.

“We do it on our own because we love theater,” Ward said.

Though auditions were open to the public, the cast of 15 and the production team are all students, ranging in ages from 17 to 30.

“As far as production values go, this is our most ambitious play yet,” Ward said. “We are adding a more intricate set design than in previous years, and we will be adding music as well.”

Senior Alex Bean has the unenviable task of playing the villain and would not have it any other way.

“This is my third year doing Shakespeare in the park, and I really enjoy it,” Bean said.

He said the cast is really close knit and are trying to have fun with their roles.

“I play the bastard brother to the prince, who tries to ruin everyone’s lives,” he said.

As far as turnout is concerned, Reid is confident it will be big.

“With family and friends of the cast, as well as passersby, I think we should draw respectable crowds,” Reid said.

With the help of Theta Alpha Phi and WBGU donations, the play will be free to the public.

“It’s non-profit just because we like doing it,” Ward said.

The play, which is an outdoor production, will be held June 5, 6 and 7 at Bowling Green City Parks Needle Hall at 6:30 p.m.

In case of rain, the play will be moved to Wooster Street Center.