Many pains of U. parking

The last time you ventured out to lot six to park your car, did you find a spot in the front row and rejoice? Or did you have to park out in the un-marked, bad-for-cars overflow lot? I am usually fairly lucky when looking for a parking spot. But the other day, I ventured out late at night with my roommate to park her car, and the spot we found was not exactly prime real estate. I can’t remember exactly where we parked her car, because I lost track of where we were after we passed section N.

I have a few problems with the parking situation here at Bowling Green. Lot six in itself embodies an injustice to those of us who live on campus. Don’t get me wrong; I appreciate the exercise I get when I have to walk over a half a mile to my car. But I feel resident students should be given access to more conveniently located parking lots. As residents, we pay room and board; we pay for a meal plan; and I think those extra expenses we pay that commuters don’t pay entitles us to some extra privileges. While I firmly back up my beliefs that residents ought to be given closer and more convenient parking, I realize faculty and commuters have to drive here every morning, and those lots cut down on the time it takes to make it to class on time. Or maybe I’m just bitter, since the faculty/staff parking lot cost me $75 (okay, so it was reduced to $6.25 at “traffic court”, but the initial shock almost caused me to have a heart attack!).

Usually when I go home for the weekend, I come back on Sunday evening. But a few weeks ago, I decided to stay home until Monday morning, a decision I still regret, although it was nice to have an extra night in my bed. I left my house with plenty of time to get here, park my car, and get to class. But as I was driving up 75 through Findlay, I got stuck in that construction area. I could feel my blood pressure rising as I sat in the car (which was standing still on a major highway) and looked at the clock. Finally, I made it to BG and saw the parking lot from the highway. I was unable to find a spot in the main lot, and once I got to overflow and saw there were not any spots before section O or so, I lost hope. So I ventured up to where I was living at the time, and parked in the lot next door, which is a faculty and staff lot. If I hadn’t parked there, I wouldn’t have made it to class on time. I was gone for one hour, and when I came back immediately after class to move my car, I had $75 worth of tickets on my windshield. Eventually, I got to traffic court and explained how I thought parking in the faculty staff lot was a reasonable chance to take in order to get to class. Especially when this class only allows you 3 absences before you are removed from a plan that can give you up to a letter grade boost at the end of the semester. All but $6.25 of the fine was waived thanks to the graciousness of the traffic court board (or whatever they call it).

Because you’re likely to get ticketed if you are in a lot not designed for resident students in the morning, many students have to venture out to lot six, usually overflow, in the crazy hours of the night. First of all, the lot has inadequate lighting, making it dangerous. Second of all, overflow is not paved, has enormous potholes, and is bad for cars. Not only that, but there aren’t any lane lines, so people use their imaginations when parking, and many times there would have been enough room for a spot but someone parked crooked or too far to the middle.

The solution? Put more lights in the lot, allow students more access to parking lots close to their dorms, and pave over the overflow lot! Students will appreciate it and be more willing to accept any other changes that might come our way.