Falcons blanked 11-0 against Broncos

Bowling Green baseball shutout for the first time this season
Bowling+Green%2C+OH+-+Falcons+Pitcher+Perry+Miller+%2819%29+about+to+pitch+the+ball+for+a+strike+at+Steller+Field+in+Bowling+Green%2C+Ohio+
Drake Harlett
Bowling Green, OH – Falcons Pitcher Perry Miller (19) about to pitch the ball for a strike at Steller Field in Bowling Green, Ohio

Bowling Green baseball (26-17) could not manage a series win against the Western Michigan Broncos (25-19) on Sunday with the Orange and Brown suffering just their third home loss of the season. 

The Falcons were held scoreless for 14 straight innings in the Western Michigan series with their last runs coming on Saturday in the second inning. The loss marks the second straight Sunday that BGSU has been run-ruled through seven innings, following last week’s 2-12 loss to Kent State on the road.

Bronco pitchers managed to bottle up the Falcons ace, junior center fielder Nathan Archer, who was hitless for the second straight game going 13 for 2 above home plate on the weekend. Bowling Green only managed four hits on the day, a far cry from WMU’s 17.

Half of the hits on Sunday came from freshman catcher Garrett Wright who hit two clean singles to right and left field but could not cross home plate each time.

Pitching for Bowling Green was also unable to get going, with sophomore right-handed pitcher Perry Miller having two back-to-back home runs smacked on him to open the first inning.

Despite two straight conference series losses the Falcons hold a firm grasp on first place in the Mid-American Conference (MAC), carrying a 19-5 record which is four games ahead of the second-place Broncos.

The Orange and Brown seem to carry a fire in them following the home loss with head coach Kyle Hallock setting his eyes on midweek tests from Michigan State on Tuesday and Purdue Fort Wayne, on Wednesday.

“We need to show up the way we need to play, the way we’ve been playing, today was frustrating because we showed up expecting them to hand us stuff and you can’t show up that way.”

BGSU will travel to East Lansing, Michigan, on Tuesday, May 7th to take on the Michigan State Spartans with first pitch falling at 6 p.m.