Politics is now irrelevant

My past five columns in this paper have been cutesy, sentimental, nonchalant and largely non-opinionated. Unfortunately, that’s not who I am, and in this column I will show you that underneath the unbiased surface, I am quite conservative.

Although I hadn’t really planned on turning myself into a notoriously politically inclined columnist, I realize I can’t hide it. Politics is part of what makes me the passionately argumentative person I am. You can tell me, “Danielle, you use the wrong shampoo” and I’m not going to argue with you. You could take the approach of my roommates and yell at me for leaving clothes and books strewn all over the room, and I won’t argue. But the second you call our president intellectually deficient compared to Osama Bin Laden ” that gets me. While I could quickly lose a number of liberally-inclined readers through the writing of this column, it is an opinion column, and I feel I should express how I feel. Hopefully I will not gain myself too many enemies through expressing myself; after all, we have a first amendment to the constitution that grants us freedom of speech.

I do not mean to imply that my life is solely political. I am able to look at topics without bias when the need arises. But I have encountered some people in my life who really cannot drop their political bias, even in a time of crisis such as the one we are faced with now. Even Washington politicians, people who make their lives out of arguing politics, have managed to put their political affiliation to the side and stand behind President Bush. There are people who have to repeatedly insulted and degraded President Bush, in order to bolster the security of their own political beliefs, and even now cannot put their political bias behind them. In a recent Zogby poll, the majority of participants agreed that President Bush is, in fact, handling the situation in an excellent fashion. Not only that, but when asked if President Bush was capable of handling this situation, again an overwhelming majority of participants agreed he was more than capable of handling whatever may come his way. So I’m still having a difficult time imagining why certain people feel he is not capable of making informed and intelligent, well thought out decisions. Do not let the southern accent and less-than-flawless impromptu speech skills fool you. George W. Bush is in fact a very intelligent man and has been the victim of double standards.

Amidst the idealistic views of the average college campus, I have heard people complaining about war. “Think of all of the innocent people who could be killed.” Okay, that argument really makes me mad. First of all, they killed thousands of our innocent people. Secondly, if we sit back and think things will get better without going to war, all we are asking for is more terrorism by terrorists who will gladly take advantage of our leniency. So looking down on President Bush for his drive to make this country a safer place is ridiculous. This is his chance to place himself amongst the best presidents this country has ever had. He will no doubt take advantage of this opportunity.

But politics doesn’t matter right now. The two parties in this country that normally argue on a regular basis have come together with George W. Bush’s help, and their own understanding that this country does not need arguments right now but nationalism and caring. President Bush’s approval ratings are very high, which proves that a majority of people agree with his plan of action and how he is handling his role as this country’s leader. He has proven himself to be a strong leader, yet human enough to show emotion and sorrow. At times, he has seemed more of a comforter and a close friend than a commander-in-chief, which I know has re-affirmed my trust in him and my confidence that he will guide us through the darkness and into the light.