Baseball rebounds with conference win

The BGSU baseball team did something they haven’t done in awhile when they beat Buffalo 12-3 last Friday.

The win was their first in the Mid-American Conference since they beat Akron on April 22. It was their third win in a row after beating Oakland 10 -2 and Wright St. 13-6 during the week. They continued their streak on Saturday beating Buffalo 6-4 but lost Sunday 11-8. “It was very important to get some positive vibes again because we were not feeling very good about ourselves,” said coach Danny Schmitz.

Since the win against Akron, the Falcons (26-24, 11-13 MAC) were swept in three game series by MAC foes Kent State and Miami University, as well as losing one more to Akron.

“We just got shut down offensively,” Schmitz said.

Tied for first place less than a month ago, the victories over Buffalo put the Falcons two games behind Western Michigan (26-19, 13-9 MAC) for the sixth and final spot in the MAC tournament with only three games remaining.

“We definitely dug ourselves a hole,” Schmitz said. “We’re on the outside looking in. We can’t afford to lose any more games right now,” he said. If the Falcons are able to make the playoffs they will be coming in hot. Their offense put up 26 runs against Buffalo to bring their weekly total to 49.

Leading the way this past week was catcher/outfielder Josh Stewart who went 14-23 from the plate while recording 12 RBI and six runs in the Falcons’ five games last week.

Junior Alan Brech continued his dominance on the mound pitching eight innings and earning the win on Friday. He raised his record to 4-1, giving up three earned runs on seven hits and striking out two.

The Falcons were to face Xavier University at home yesterday but the game was canceled due to the weather. They will be traveling to Ohio University (19-25, 11-13 MAC) for their last three games starting this tomorrow.

They will have to keep the winning streak going and hope for some help if they are going to get into the playoffs. “Right now we’re just telling the guys to win,” Schmitz said. “We can only control what we can control and if we don’t win it doesn’t matter what anybody else does. We can’t control what other teams are doing.”

Western Michigan has a game against Purdue University today and a three game series against Eastern Michigan starting tomorrow.