University announces expansion of Thompson Working Families Scholarship program

BGSU YouTube page
Bob Thompson talks about the expansion of the Bowling Green State University and the Thompson Foundation philanthropic partnership during an event at the Bowen-Thompson Student Union Thursday, May 2.

Bowling Green State University and the Thompson Foundation will expand their philanthropic partnership to provide nearly $150 million in scholarships it was announced at a Thursday event in the Bowen-Thompson Student Union.

The Thompson Working Families Scholarship program has been active at BGSU over the last decade. Bob and Ellen Thompson shared their intent to increase their contribution to scholarships at BGSU to total $121 million, with the possibility of an additional $30 million to extend the program past 2035. If realized, the Thompsons will have contributed $150 million to student scholarships at BGSU. According to a University press release – “this would be the largest in the University’s history, the largest single gift designated to student scholarships in the state of Ohio’s history and one of the largest non-endowed scholarship programs of its kind in the nation.”

“This is a generationally defining gift for thousands of students who might not otherwise be able to earn a college degree,” said BGSU President Rodney K. Rogers. “As a public university for the public good, access to higher education is at the very core of our mission, and we are incredibly grateful for the Thompsons’ unprecedented generosity in supporting student scholarships at BGSU. The impact of this gift is truly immeasurable.”

Read more about the announcement and the Thompson’s on the University’s website.