COLOR art exhibit explores African American heritage and identity

Even students who would not usually be interested in taking in an art show might be enticed to check out an exhibit featuring works with titles such as “Biting Bling”.

Starting today, in the art building gallery, this piece, along with 39 others from ten contemporary African American artists will be on display in the exhibition COLOR: Ten African American Artists.

The artists in this exhibit explore ideas of identity and heritage through multiple mediums of art, such as ceramic, glass and found objects.

Jacqueline Nathan, director of the gallery, said that the exhibit is an exciting opportunity for students.

“It’s important to look at art to help you understand issues of the day in a way you haven’t thought of before . . . using more introspection and concentration,” she said.

The show, which is being organized by the Society for Contemporary Craft in Pittsburgh, has been introduced as “edgy” and “provocative.”

Attitudes about the world in which we live are present in each different work.

While many students might reason that they can explore these attitudes through other forms of art, Nathan said personal expression can communicate ideas differently from a book or a movie.

Hsin-I Cheng, communications professor at the University, agrees with Nathan.

She feels that verbal and written communication are not the only ways to communicate. Art can be a medium, too, Cheng said.

A trip to this exhibit is a way for students to obtain viewpoints of African American artists through non-verbal communication.

Someone like Megan Adair, a BGSU student, wouldn’t have thought a few months ago that she would ever be interested in attending any art exhibit. However, she has recently began to become intrigued with art.

“If you don’t know much about art, or aren’t an art major, you might not think this sounds fascinating,” Adair said. “But I learned more about art this year through people I’ve met. Glass blowing, other forms of art, it’s all so interesting and beautiful.”

After COLOR finishes its tour, each piece of art will be returned to the artist, and the chance to view these individual works all together will be gone. This exhibit remains on display in BG until October 6.