Relax at the park with local music acts and catered food

If the weather is beautiful, then get out, go to a picnic and enjoy some free music in the Bowling Green City Park.

Every summer, the City Park hosts a variety of different events. This year, concerts featuring bands and solo musicians will take place on Sundays throughout the summer, starting around 7 p.m.

“Families generally pack a picnic and enjoy the music while they eat,” said Christin Otley, who is in charge of scheduling events for Sunday evenings.

The concerts start on June 11, featuring the Sweet Adelines, a group based out of Toledo. Otley considered them to be a traditional, a cappella group.

The concerts last about an hour and the city pool will remain open during these events, as will the concession stand located next to the pool entrance.

“I went to one these events last year,” said Greg Smithy, a recent University graduate. “It was great to have something to do while I wasn’t taking summer classes. It was so relaxing.”

Other residents outside of the University have made Sunday in the Parks a tradition of sorts.

“I’ve gone almost every Sunday since they started hosting bands and musicians. Last year was great,” said Larry Sikes, a local that lives just outside of the city limits. “I plan on going to the first one.”

The City Park also hosts a similar event on Fridays, which features local food catering over the lunch hour every Friday until July 28th.

“I went to Lunch in the Park once,” said Sikes, “But I still prefer music while I eat.”

This year though, the lunch events will be featuring music. This Friday, Panera Bread will be catering while Jeff Tucker, a soft rock artist, performs.

Lunch in the Park begins at 11:30 every Friday, with food being served up until 1 p.m.

The Lunch in the Park event also takes place at the City Park. Food and entertainment will be located near the Martin and Kiwanis picnic shelters.

The City Park is also hosting Wednesday family picnics, where games and activities will be available to groups. On June 14th, the Stone Building shelter at the park will be the base for family activities, including relays and outdoor games.

The City Park offers a great variety of activities for the family or the individual. Whether it be good music, great food or games, the City Park can be a great place to spend free time for parents, children and a place to relax for the perpetually stressed out college student.

For more information concerning local events in the parks including whose playing and when, visit the Bowling Green Parks and Recreation homepage at http://www.bgohio.org/parks-and-recreation/index.html.

And don’t worry. Even if your wallet is empty, you can still stop by and enjoy the music.