Technology overload: Should students pull the plug?

Facebook updates, text message alerts, instant messages and a ringing cell phone. Is it all too much for the average college student?

Laura Lengel, an associate professor in the School of Communication Studies and co-author of the book “Computer-Mediated Communication: Social Interaction on the Internet,” puts into perspective some of the detrimental effects that multi-tasking communicative tools may have on students.

“A study done by the University of London, found that the IQ of those who allow frequent e-mail interruptions and multi-tasking temporarily falls by 10 points. This is the equivalent to pulling an all-nighter and more than double the IQ drop one would expect to have after smoking marijuana,” Lengel said.

During finals week, it may be beneficial to turn off these tools that may lead to poor performances academically.

“There are so many interruptions provided by computer-mediated communication, it’s difficult to keep your mind on task, especially during busy times like finals week, and the stress and increase in activities before the holiday season,” she said.

Some students unplug these tools of distraction for good to help simplify and balance their lives.

Erick Evans, a junior early childhood education major, logged off of Facebook for good last spring, and has seen an improvement in his study habits.

“I became conscious of the time I was spending on Facebook and felt that without a Facebook profile I would better utilize my time” he said.

He’s not alone in his pursuit of electronic simplification.

Many students shut off Facebook and sign off of instant messenger so they are less distracted by multiple conversations and tasks at once.

Junior David Hotler stopped using instant messenger during this semester so he could focus more on getting papers and projects done.

“When I’m trying to get a paper done and there’s not a distraction, that in turn makes my life less stressful,” Hotler said.

Jennifer Koch, a pre-doctoral psychology intern at the BGSU Counseling Center, said she could not give hard numbers on how many students they have seen directly affected by this trend, but did agree that if any of these elements are taking over study time or are leading to stress, students should consider unplugging.

“In general at the counseling center, we see kids whose lives are out of balance,” she said. “If turning off cell phones, instant messenger and Facebook will help restore that balance, then we would suggest doing so.”

Another avenue of simplification that may seem life threatening to many students is opting not to have a cell phone, like junior Sean Morrissey.

One of the perks of not owning a cell phone is the ability to not be reached at all times of the day, he said.

In addition to lessening stress and distractions, losing these electronic tools of communication can lead to more face-to-face interaction, which some students like Evans and Morrissey find is a major plus.

“I feel as though people may be missing out by having Facebook, because instead of meeting people in real life situations they read abut people on Facebook and could decide based on a profile whether or not they like someone,” Evans said.

Morrissey agrees.

“Not having a cell phone makes me use human contact more often, which I find is rewarding,” he said.