Modern vaccinations should not be detested, but embraced

Something I’ve been reading more about recently has been really bothering me, and now it has reached The BG News. Being a fan of science and epidemiology, I need to say my piece.

This crazy new trend for parents to find ways of avoiding giving their children vaccines is treading the line between danger and stupidity. While this whole situation may not seem like a big deal, it’s something we all need to think about. Some of us have already had children, and many will in the future. As parents, this choice will come up.

First of all, the article – an AP story titled “Personal beliefs halt immunizations, vaccines” – cites “religious reasons” for parents making their child eligible for vaccine exemption. What sort of religious belief would one have that would make getting a vaccine taboo?

Excuse my ignorance if there really is some good reason out there, but the invention and discovery of vaccines has contributed greatly to our living situation today. In this global world, as well as the way that people live so closely in this country, malicious diseases could spread like wildfire if it weren’t for the vaccines, as well as sanitation.

In fact, although keeping things cleaner has helped avoid catching diseases, it may be catching up with us. The widespread overuse of antibiotics and Lysol-like products has some viruses and bacteria coming back even stronger. Do we really want to play with fire?

Although the current debate is about the measles vaccine, discounting other vaccines could be next. Just because a disease isn’t currently present in the United States doesn’t mean it won’t come back, or be transported in from other countries or animal reservoirs.

Even if your unvaccinated child doesn’t catch measles at a young age, this doesn’t mean they won’t when they get older and travel more. Measles is highly infectious, and wreaks havoc on adults who catch it. The mother in the article makes me sick, saying she would rather her child get measles than risk the possibility of becoming autistic. Perhaps we should try our luck with things like polio, hepatitis or diphtheria, too? I’d be willing to bet these people’s “religious or personal exemptions” didn’t interfere with receiving those vaccines.

It seems to me all this hubbub is a result of widespread scientific misinformation, or the belief in some sort of shadowy government power which purposely wants to give children autism for financial gain. If so, I’m holding my hand out and waiting for my payoff from big Pharma.

I’m still waiting. Oh well.

Is it the fault of scientists and healthcare workers that some people seem to understand so little about how a vaccine works? Have we made scientific discovery too much of an “in” club? The vaccine is a beautiful marvel of human ingenuity and modern science; it contributes daily to the longer lifespan of people residing in the developed world and the improved health of those in developing countries.

Its history is fascinating; if you are looking for a good read, look it up on the Web. It began with the ancient Chinese practice of variolation, which caught the eye of several scientists around the world. They began by experimenting on themselves, and in some cases children (dubious business practices, yes).

Some say that mandatory vaccine programs infringe on the personal freedoms of those who do not want them. If that’s true, your idiotic decision not to vaccinate your children or yourself against life-threatening or debilitating diseases infringes on my personal right to live in a generally healthy and safe environment. Not all vaccines are 100 percent effective, meaning if a large group of people decide to walk this path, and certain diseases resurge, I am put at risk as well.

I’m not discouraging further research into the adverse effects of vaccines. On the contrary, science thrives on continued research, but please. I already have what I deem to be a weak immune system, catching colds and stomach bugs from being around such a large group of people on campus. I really don’t want to have to worry about polio, measles or hepatitis.

When will people stop believing science has a giant conspiracy against them? Most people get into the medical research field because they care about people, and want to change the world, save the children and other noble ventures.

So, think carefully when you hear a celebrity advocating not vaccinating your children, be it right now, or 10 years down the road when you have your first child. Always question what you hear – in fact, I suggest you fact check my statements. If you are a health care provider, vaccine researcher or just an interested and informed party, do everything you can to provide people with accurate information, or someone else will fill them with junk science.