Black history brings variety of flavor to Taste of February

Black history mixed with a touch of entertainment and elegance concluded the annual Taste of February held last night in the Union Ballroom.

“The Taste of February is an event that celebrates Black History Month by giving you a taste of history and celebration,” Mistress of Ceremonies Tiffany Davis said.

The evening started with a wholesome dinner provided by University dining and catering, accompanied by music from violinist Danielle Buenger.

As the meal concluded, those in attendance were then serenaded by operatic sensation Jakise Oree, who sang “Lift Every Voice and Sing” and a jazz rendition of “Summertime” from Broadway opera “Porgy and Bess.”

“I believe in the diversity of the African American culture, most people believe that it’s all about gospel, rap and R’B,” Oree said. “I think it’s important to touch upon classical and jazz because those are also significant contributions to black history.”

Also performing was Creative Minds Movement poets Olumayowa Odumade and Ky Cunnigham, both using black history and progress in the African American community as inspiration for their spoken words.

Students Antonio Lee and Travis Moody gave guests the visual elements of the evening.

Moody promoted his clothing lines M.I.N.E. and M.I.N.E 2, standing for Minorities in Need of Exposure, and Lee displayed his artwork for attendees to take a look at during the 10-minute intermission.

Last night’s Taste of February also debuted the first performance of the newest BG dance group Prima, who danced to Joss Stone’s “Spoiled.” Consisting of five members thus far, the group announced they will be holding tryouts in the near future for anyone interested.

The evening concluded with two musical numbers from the BG Gospel Choir.

“Even if I wasn’t in gospel choir, I would have came to this event because I love to support events that enhance the black community,” Gospel Choir Conductor Rachel Willingham said.

As the evening came to an end, attendees applauded in satisfaction and enthusiasm.

“I feel like this event is a BG tradition and you’re not supposed to leave BG until you come to this,” Graduate Advisor of Resident Life Erin Yastro said.

“I heard of all the talented performances that were going to take place,” Resident Advisor Juan Sloan said. ” This being my last year I didn’t want to miss it.”