From China to the States

It takes about $1,300 and 23 hours for freshman swimmer Vicky Yu to catch a flight home to her native Shenyang, China. Thank goodness she has found a second home in the pool at the Bowling Green Natatorium.

Whereas ‘potential’ can only get you so far in Div. I college athletics, thus far in her Falcon career, Yu has demonstrated a stark ability to surpass everyone’s already high expectations.

But all the talent in the world does not make it easy to be thousands of miles away from everyone and everything you know.

“I miss my family and friends,” Yu said. “And my parents miss me so much.”

For Yu, whose second language is English, it was a struggle to communicate effectively at times. That was until she met teammate Jen Beatty, a freestyle specialist who was quick to befriend Yu.

Within a matter of weeks the two became roommates and practically inseparable.

“I try to help her explain things to people,” Beatty said. “I also try to help her with school work.”

The good deeds have not gone unnoticed by Yu.

“She is my best friend,” Yu said speaking of Beatty. “She helps me a lot.”

As for her performance in the pool, Yu did not pick up the sport until she was 9 years old.

“I first learned to swim at a municipal swimming program,” Yu said. “My first stroke was the backstroke but when I was 13, I switched to fly.”

And fly she does. Yu was dominant from the start, catching everyone by storm, including the opposition.

At her first ever dual meet against Mid-American Conference powerhouse Eastern Michigan, the freshman left her competition in the dust winning two events and finishing second in her third.

Possibly more impressive was the short time between her last two races.

Yu was touched out at the wall in the 100-yard butterfly race, but only had to wait 10 minutes for revenge as she was back in the pool swimming away from her challengers and winning the 400-individual medley by nearly a second.

“Unlike the MAC championships where swimmers get a mandatory 15 minute rest between swims, there is no set time between dual meets,” said assistant coach Mark Howard.

But that hasn’t stopped the coaching staff from pushing Yu to her limits; after all they do have high expectations.

“I recruited Vicky to be a MAC champion,” Howard said. “You can’t replace [senior] Alisha Yee, but Vicky has all the potential to achieve all the great things Alisha had done.”

Pushed for any possible shortcomings in Yu’s abilities, Howard smirked and conceded that they are working to improve the freshman’s breathing pattern.

“She has struggled with her breathing in the past, but Vicky has been able to improve on that this season,” Howard said.

Fortunately for Falcon swimmers and fans, Howard sees no ceiling for Yu’s potential in the pool.

“Vicky has had a steady progression since August,” Howard said. “She has shown major improvement in all the little things.”

As for the MAC Championship later this month, Yu seems focused on the task at hand.

“I will be prepared and well rested,” Yu said.

For the rest of the swimmers competing against Yu at the MAC championship, those are not exactly encouraging words.

But before that meet, Yu and the Falcons will go against Buffalo and Youngstown State tonight and Akron tomorrow at the Rec. Center.