Pet ownership is feasible for students

After moving off campus (joy of joys!) and discovering they live in a pet friendly apartment or rental house, many students begin to ponder owning a pet.

Ownership of an animal can be a great thing for a student. Owning a dog can encourage you to exercise, while a cat can be a great study companion, purring quietly on your lap while you cram for the upcoming exam.

However, owning a pet can pose problems as well, most of them financial. How can you keep your newfound furry friend healthy, but your wallet happy?

Cash savvy pet ownership begins with actually getting your pet. While many people have always dreamed of owning a specific breed of pet, I would suggest adopting from a reputable animal shelter, one that keeps their animals mostly separated from each other.

While you may not be able to find the exact breed you wanted, you will be able to find a loyal, homeless animal at a good price. Most adoption fees are under 100 dollars, and often you will get a packet of coupons for items like a bed, dish and food, as well as a free exam at a local veterinarian.

The animal will be spayed or neutered, and should be up to date on all of its shots. This is a huge savings in money, versus buying an expensive puppy from a breeder, and having to pay for all of its shots, as well as a spay or neuter surgery.

The animal you will fall in love with may also be several years old, meaning it’s probably already housebroken – a huge bonus when you are renting your living space.

Once you get your pet, it’s time to think about its general health. After taking a good amount of time to pick out the perfect companion, you will want to ensure many happy, healthy years together. The best way to do this is to see your local veterinarian.

Believe it or not, a yearly physical exam and adult shots are not very costly. Unless your pet is ill, it should be less than $100 per year, with a little extra if you want to do some routine bloodwork as your friend ages. This sort of routine maintenance will save you a lot of money in the long run, making it easier to catch underlying problems before they become costly.

As an employee of an emergency animal clinic, everyday I see the financial benefits of regular checkups and updated vaccines. If an unvaccinated dog catches parvovirus, for example (very common around here), bills for healthcare can run into the thousands of dollars, and the survival of your pet is not even guaranteed.

FIV in cats can lead to a very shortened life in some cats. Being proactive, and spending a small amount of money can save your pets health, and keep you from having to spend a large sum of money in an emergency.

Sometimes emergency situations do occur, and I see them often at work. Now that you are vaccinating your pet, as well as getting a yearly checkup, you can avoid most of them. I suggest keeping a small emergency fund in case an accident does occur.

However, with a few simple safeguards, mostly cost-free, you can help prevent any costly emergencies or accidents. If you own a dog, keep it on a leash at all times while outside, and make sure it doesn’t escape outside. A car is much larger, heavier, and faster than a dog, and can inflict devastating damage.

You might think your dog will only stay in your yard while going to the bathroom, but animals are unpredictable. He might see a jogger, or another animal, and trot into the road. Cats slip outside easily, so make sure all your doors are fastened and closed when you leave.

Keep tags on your pet with your telephone number. I have returned several loose pets to Bowling Green students, and was only able to do this because they had tags. These can be purchased for about $10 at several local grocery or pet stores.

Lastly, make sure household cleaners, insect killers, and car products such as oil and antifreeze are tucked away where your furry friend can’t get at them. Pets do have sharp teeth, and have been known to gnaw through plastic packaging.

So, if you are considering a pet, think carefully about it. If you have a modest amount of money to spare, and time and love to give, go for it!

It’s often been said animals are great stress relievers, as well as self esteem boosters. In college, everyone could use a little stress relief, and a happy face after a strenuous exam.

Having a pet isn’t just for the very well off or for families anymore. With careful planning, nearly anyone can experience the joy that is pet ownership.