University public relations organization creates a buzz

The University’s Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA) has started its own student run firm named BG Buzz Public Relations.

BG Buzz has been serving as the public relations agency for three organizations, The American Red Cross (The Wood County District), Heartbeat of Toledo and Students for Organ Donation, which is on campus. Members of BG Buzz are divided into three teams, one for each client, and they are able to be a part of the public relations strategy for their specific organization.

Shannon Tate has been in PRSSA for three years and is also a member of BG Buzz. Tate said she really enjoys being a part of BG Buzz.

‘I love public relations, especially working and communicating with clients and being able to help meet their needs,’ Tate said. ‘And, I’m happy to do that for a good and prominent organization such as Heartbeat of Toledo.’

Sara Newell, who is the president of PRSSA and the assistant director of BG Buzz, said one of the designs of BG Buzz was to work with non-profit organizations.

‘One of our goals is to provide public relations services to clients who would otherwise not have the means to get them,’ she said. Newell said she is really proud with how BG Buzz gives its members experiences and opportunities.

‘I think we are giving students a real, unique way of practicing their public relations skills in a real-world environment,’ she said. ‘It educates our members on the basics of public relations, like how to work with clients and writing and talking to the media.’

Tate said she agrees there is a lot of value that come from working with clients, such as the ones affiliated with BG Buzz.

‘You actually get to put what you learn in class to work and take the client’s vision and make it happen,’ she said. ‘This experience is another tool to reinforce and practice your skills and set you apart from the rest.’

Senior Jacob Corall, who is the account manager for the Students for Organ Donation, said he joined PRSSA this year to gain experience. Through BG Buzz, he has been able to do just that, he said.

‘You learn what the right protocol is for speaking with the media, you work on writing press releases and I have learned how to respond better to a client’s request,’ he said.

Corall said his involvement with the firm has allowed him to team up with an organization that he admires.

‘I find it very rewarding to work with Students for Organ Donation. It’s one of the great organizations on campus,’ he said. ‘They help save lives and I’m proud to be a part of it by working with this group.’

Newell said she hopes BG Buzz can continue their success, like maintaining good relationships with their clients, in the years to come.

‘So far, it has been going smoothly and we have a big group involved. We have around 30 members so far, so it is set up to keep running in the future.”