Men’s soccer team closes season with win

For possibly the first time in an 18-game season, the Falcons men’s soccer team had it all together. The result was a dominant 3-0 victory over conference rivals Florida Atlantic University.

The Falcon victory was particularly special, as it was the last game for six seniors: Cameron Hepple, Jacob Lawrence, Chuko Evwaraye, Gavin Dozier, Hunter Van Houten and Tyler Deal.

The senior forward duo of Hepple and Lawrence made sure the fans would go home happy on senior day and that their last game with the Falcons would be a victorious one. The two players peppered the Owl goal with 14 shots, as Hepple found the back of the net twice to bring his season tally to 10 goals.

Coach Eric Nichols was proud of his seniors’ performance, as well as the team’s ability to play a complete game.

‘I think it was one of the best games of the year, the difference is we played 90 minutes instead of 60 or 70,’ Nichols said. ‘I am not surprised by the result at all, I knew we could do this, I knew we could score goals.’

Nichols was also happy that he and the team could send the six seniors out on a high note.

‘They have been good all year, guys we can really count on, it’s good we can send them out with a win,’ Nichols said.

As impressive as the Falcons were up front, the defense was just as good recording a shutout for just the third time this season.

Junior Dusko Topolic thinks the back line is ready to go for next season.

‘With Thomas [McLean] and I back there, we are comfortable,’ the full back said. ‘We will miss Tyler [Deal] but the back line can grow from here.’

Topolic and his teammates gave emotional hugs to the six seniors as they trotted off the field for the final time.

‘These guys have been great on and off the field,’ Topolic said. ‘They have helped us grow as a team and sending them off like this has been good.’

Senior Jacob Lawrence, whose family was in the stands to watch his final game, felt good about the team’s performance.

‘It’s great to end the season with a win, especially when it’s your final game,’ Lawrence said. ‘I am proud of the whole team, not just the seniors, for sending us out with a victory.’

Lawrence, the team’s co-captain, thinks the victory can prove momentous to those players returning next season.

‘We look at it like the glass is half full,’ Lawrence said. ‘Going into the spring season, we will have some momentum.’

Nichols could not agree with his senior more.

‘The way we look at it, we are on a winning streak, and we want to take that momentum into next season,’ he said.’