Falcon golfers enticed by world’s longest golf course

Australia. It is a breathtakingly unique place that is home to exotic creatures such as the wallaby, emu and koala.

A few weeks ago the land down under became home to a rare breed of a different sort with the opening of the Nullarbor Links.

Measuring at 848 miles, Nullarbor is the world’s longest golf course. Playing to a par of 71, Nullabor’s 18 holes stretch out along the Eyre Highway, a desert road which hugs Australia’s southern coast.

The course, which features a different town for every hole, combines golf with the rugged beauty of the Outback. Golfers will stop at a service station, play the hole, and then drive off to the next tee – which in some cases may be more than 100 kilometers down the road.

At each stop, players will be treated to a local attraction, ranging from whale watching to ancient fossil beds. One hole is right in the middle of a sheep shearing station.

The course takes about three or four days to complete, and those that finish are awarded a special certificate.

According to project chairman Don Harrington, the idea was conceived about five years ago over ‘a couple of beers,’ and is meant to attract and enhance tourism along Australia’s southern coast.

‘There’s a lot of history and you can see all of that on a golf course,’ Harrington said last summer. ‘Both Australian tourists and golfing enthusiasts around the world have shown support for what we are doing.’

Also showing enthusiasm for the course are members of the BG men’s golf team, most of whom – if they ever find themselves in the Outback with time to kill – would love to take a stab at Nullarbor.

‘I’d probably need a helicopter, but I’d love to play the course,’ said coach Garry Winger. ‘It sounds like a great concept.’

‘I’d love to tee it up there,’ said senior team member Matt Schneider. ‘I’ve always wanted to go all around the world and play famous golf courses. This would be another one to add to my list.’

Nullarbor opened Oct. 22 with its inaugural tournament. The course costs about 40 American dollars for 18 holes. Transportation is not included.