Big dreams become a big reality

Almost all students come to the University to one day earn a degree and live their dreams. It is an idea captured in the University’s slogan, ‘Dream Big!’ And one student may be on his way to reaching his own.

Senior Taurence Armstrong aspires to be a famous talk show host. He said he came up with an idea for his own talk show when he was in the 10th grade. Now, after a lot of hard work and persistence, the idea has turned into reality. Armstrong is the creator, executive producer and host of ‘BG on TV.’

‘The goal of ‘BG on TV’ is to help make the actions of young adults, ages 18-24, match their desires,’ Armstrong said. ‘We hope to inspire young adults through our show by having guests on that are living their dreams and have inspiring stories to tell.’

Armstrong said the idea for ‘BG on TV’ came partly from his ‘pillar theory.’

‘If I were to have my own media company I would name it ‘Pillar Productions.’ I would name it that because pillars are strong. They’re loving because they give their time supporting something and they’re extremely given,’ he said. ‘I want to be strong and supportive like a pillar, and I want to inspire others to be like pillars as well.’

The inaugural episode of ‘BG on TV’ will try to influence its viewers by featuring two recent University grads on their own career paths by running The BLDG in downtown Bowling Green. One of those guests is Will Wicks, who is a music producer, and although he still has some higher aspirations, he has gained success quickly, he said.

‘I’ve reached a nice piece of my dream by working with music, which I will always have love and a passion for,’ he said.

The first show of ‘BG on TV’ will also include a singing competition between three contestants, and the winner will have their own song produced in collaboration with Wicks. Having a student contestant earn the opportunity to create their own song is another illustration of the show’s goal of encouraging young adults to follow their dreams.

‘On the show, we talked about how to get started with your dream by finding out what you love and making it a skill,’ Wicks said. ‘You don’t want to do something and look at it as just a job, you want to do something that you enjoy and hopefully you can surround yourself with others who enjoy it as well.’

Although the intent of the show is to motivate viewers, some people involved with the making of ‘BG on TV’ have already been positively affected. Alesha Duncan, a producer for the show, said so far it has been a wonderful opportunity.

‘I’m definitely gaining experience and this is something I know I want to do,’ she said. ‘Through my involvement with ‘BG on TV,’ I feel like I’m a step closer to my dream, which is what the show is all about.’

The taping of the first episode of ‘BG on TV’ was this past Tuesday night. Duncan said she was pleased with how the show went.

‘It went pretty well for it being the first show. The audience was great and our crew did an awesome job,’ she said. ‘It will be a really big moment when I see it on TV, the feeling will be like, wow, we did it.’

Armstrong said after the first taping, he feels energetic.

‘I feel like I could definitely do something like this for the rest of my life,’ he said. ‘As long as there is meaning behind what I am doing, and there is definitely purpose behind a show like this.’

‘BG on TV’ will air for the first time on Monday, November 23 at 10 p.m. on BGSU’s Channel 6. The episode will be 30 minutes long. Armstrong said he hopes the members of ‘BG on TV’ will be able to do a number of shows in the future.

‘TV is tough. It took six weeks to produce this one show, so it takes time,’ Armstrong said. ‘But this isn’t supposed to be a one time thing, we plan on this project being around for a while and we really want it to live on for students in the future.’

Armstrong said through creating and hosting ‘BG on TV’ he is already living part of his dream and he stresses that others can do the same.

‘It is possible to live your dream,’ he said. ‘So many people throughout the history of the world have said that. Those people must have some idea of the truth because way too many have said it for it not to be true.’