Firelands campus sees record enrollment increase

BGSU Firelands, the regional branch campus of the University, is turning heads with a record enrollment of 2,416 students for the fall 2009 semester.

[Firelands], which was founded through community fundraisers more than forty years ago, has come a long way, said Firelands Marketing Director Lesley Ruszkowski.

According to a press release, all undergraduate categories at Firelands experienced increases from last year. The largest increases were in freshman and sophomores, 14.4 and 11.3 percent respectively. Juniors increased by 0.4 percent and seniors by 8.5 percent.

According to Ruszkowski, these increases are due to a variety of factors.

‘The economy is playing a huge factor,’ she said. ‘We are cheaper than main campus, so students are able to stay at home, earn and save some money, and then transfer to make the transition toward their baccalaureate degrees.’

Ruszkowski said enrollment also may have been positively affected by Firelands’ increased marketing and student support efforts. She said the college is smaller than most, which provides students with the benefit of more personal attention and flexible scheduling for the large number of non-traditional students who attend.

Firelands offers clubs, day and night student activities, tutoring and learning centers, computer labs, an art gallery and a beautiful campus, Ruszkowski said.

‘I think people see the value of going to a regional campus of Bowling Green State University that is in their own backyard,’ Ruszkowski said. ‘We have all the benefits of BGSU main campus – the name, resources and talents – we’re just 62 miles northeast.’

When asked about the benefits of Firelands, freshman Haley White of Sandusky, Ohio, said her decision was ultimately decided by cost. She said it was cheaper to live at home, about 15 minutes from Firelands, and receive the same nursing degree she would at the University’s main campus or another university.

‘They also have a huge learning center and a lot of tutors,’ White said.

Freshman Shelby Stierhoff said along with affordability, her job and Firelands’ proximity to her hometown, Castalia, Ohio, were also factors in her decision.

‘The professors are down to earth and the campus has such a friendly atmosphere,’ Stierhoff said. ‘I am also so glad I have the option to go to Firelands for my first two years and then transfer to main campus to finish my degree if I want to.’

William Balzer, Dean of BGSU Firelands, said the growth in enrollment is a great success and is allowing the college to adapt to the challenges of expansion in a positive way.

‘I think everybody, speaking on behalf of people in the college and community, sees it as a great success. It’s nice to know students who want a college education are able to get it in their home community.’ he said. ‘It’s a terrific opportunity and value, and I think everyone appreciates the effect it can have on economic development in the north coast area.’

Ruszkowski and Balzer both said they believe Firelands’ enrollment is patterned to increase in the years to come.

‘Past behavior is one of the best indicators of future behavior,’ Balzer said. ‘We have a plan in place to continue a modest but regular enrollment increase over the next couple of years.’