Women’s soccer to close season in Toledo

For the first time since 2001, the BG women’s soccer team will not be playing in the postseason.

BG has been so used to playing competitively and winning, that trips to the postseason have become a thing of expectation for coach Andy Richards’ team.

‘It’s brutal,’ Richards said. ‘This whole season has just been uncanny.’

The Falcons still have one game left to play on the regular season schedule, but it’s a bitter pill to swallow for the team who is used to gunning for the Mid-American Conference championship.

But the team is trying to keep spirits up, as their last game is on the road at rival Toledo.

‘They’ve beat us in the championship before and in the quarterfinals,’ Richards said. ‘It would be really nice to get one up on them.’

Toledo is having a much better season on paper, as they are second in the MAC standings.

This contrasts a Falcon team that stands at 5-11-3, in what has been an unexplainable roller coaster of a ride for the team.

‘We’ve played so much better than our record states,’ Richards said. ‘I just can’t make sense of this season. It’s like when we played Eastern Michigan and one of their girls had a handball, but the referee didn’t give them the penalty.’

Between a cold fusion of individual errors, questionable refereeing and overlooking big opportunities, the Falcons have found themselves hoping to come out today and steal one from the Toledo Rockets.

‘We’re going to be playing for pride and they’re going to be playing for bragging rights,’ Richards said.

The Falcons and Rockets will kick off at 3 p.m.’