ROTC brings new Falcon to the University

Freddie and Frieda aren’t the only falcon mascots at the University this semester.

Freedom Falcon, Air Force ROTC’s new official mascot, is enjoying his first full year on campus, Director of Staff Rachelle Miller said.

According to Captain Eric Norton, unit admissions officer for Air Force ROTC, the idea for Freedom Falcon originated as collaboration from both the staff of Air Force ROTC and cadets. Once recruitment funding is spent, leftover funding is available for unique ideas like Freedom, Norton said.

The name Freedom was chosen by the students after suggestions were submitted via e-mail.

‘Being that we’re part of a military training establishment, Freedom just seemed like the natural name to go with, and with the play on the letter ‘f’ it just fit,’ Norton said.

Freedom Falcon is an idea completely original to the University. Both Norton and Miller said out of all 144 detachments nationwide, the University’s 620th detachment is the only with a mascot like Freedom.

Male Air Force ROTC students take turns wearing the Freedom costume, a fierce blue falcon with the air force logo on his chest. Freedom is also always accompanied by his ‘wing man,’ an Air Force ROTC student who can inform students about the organization, Norton said.

Although conversations about an Air Force ROTC mascot took place as early as 2007, Norton said there were initial problems getting permission for Freedom to make appearances around the University.

‘We had him starting last spring semester, but we had to jump over all these hurdles to get special permission for him to go to games. This year we’re utilizing him much more,’ Miller said.

Now Freedom is considered a regular when he frequents school events.

‘Freedom goes to activities like recruiting events and football and basketball games. It was the Air Force’s birthday on September 18, and he was at the Union handing out birthday cake,’ Miller said.

Recruiting Flight Commander Christopher Silver is now in charge of making sure Freedom attends as many events as possible.

‘He’s here to have fun, take pictures, interact with kids, interact with students, and just be there,’ Silver said. ‘And in the back of people’s minds, we want them to think, that’s ROTC, they’re doing a good thing on campus.’

Freedom Falcon is about getting Air Force ROTC’s name out and connecting the organization to the University, Silver said.

‘We want people to know who we are,’ Silver said. ‘We do a lot to help out in the community and we also want to be involved with the tradition here at BGSU.’

Miller also said Freedom Falcon is important because he makes Air Force ROTC visible on campus.

‘Everyone thinks only the Army is ROTC because of the students walking around in combat uniforms, so I think he helps set us apart,’ she said. ‘Our numbers have actually gone up this year. I’m not sure if it’s because of our recruiting, or because of Freedom.’