Arsenault sets record as Falcons post pair of shutouts on weekend

The BG women’s soccer team had a successful weekend as they ousted Detroit 4-0 Friday and Indiana Purdue Fort Wayne 1-0 Sunday.

The Falcons improved to 3-2, breaking over .500 for the first time this season.

‘We need to be realistic,’ said coach Andy Richards. ‘[It’s a] major feat to beat a Big Ten team. If you asked me where we’d be [right now] I would have said 3-2.’

Goalie Alexa Arsenault played over 60 minutes in one game and a complete game in the other. Becca Ison relieved Arsenault for the last 30 minutes of the game in Detroit, but Arsenault was able to set a school-record with her shutout Sunday. She became the goalie with the most complete-match shutouts in school history, breaking Erika Flanders’ record which she set from 1999-2002.

That was just one of the many highlights of the weekend. The rout on Detroit was complete with a three-goal second half and goals from four different players. Colleen Kordan, Leah Johnson, Katie Stevenson and Katelyn Turner all scored for BG.

‘Four different goal scorers is encouraging,’ Richards said.

The team faced the challenge of playing on Detroit’s turf but were ready for it.

‘[We were] fortunate to practice on the football turf all week,’ Richards said.

The Falcons came home Sunday and defeated IPFW 1-0, with the only goal being scored by Megan Amann.

Richards spoke highly of the IPFW program, who they beat last year 4-0.

‘They’re a very much improved program,’ he said.

BG didn’t look as fluid as they did Friday, but they still pulled out the win.

‘Friday was a better transitional game,’ Richards said. ‘We had to gut it out Sunday. It was a scruffy win.’

The Falcons will now prepare for their first weekend with all home games as they host in St. Bonaventure and Youngstown State.