Falcons following up mid-week loss with another tough challenge

For the first half of their game against the University of Michigan Wednesday, the Falcons looked like they could compete with any team in the country.

However, the game was two halves, and the Wolverines scored four goals in 12 minutes to beat the Falcons 5-1

The Falcons came out strong, as sophomore Max Weston got his first collegiate goal in the ninth minute.

Weston has continued to produce for the Falcons in a starting capacity, after beginning the season on the bench

‘It felt good to get on the board early; it was a great team goal,’ Weston said.

As for giving up the lead, Weston saw it as a shift in the game’s momentum.

‘We had a lot of momentum, because we scored early, but we didn’t stay focused,’ he said

Coach Eric Nichols was pleased the execution that led to that goal.

‘We strung a few passes together, and Jacob [Lawrence] sprung Max with a nice pass,’ Nichols said. ‘Max made a great touch shot off the far post and in.’

With the lead, the Falcons began to push, coming close to scoring again in the 30th minute, when Gavin Dozier sent a shot at goal that forced a save from Michigan goalkeeper Chris Blais.

The equalizer came for Michigan in the 39th minute, as Falcon goalie Jeff Smoker was beaten by Justin Meram.

As positive as the first half was for the Falcons, the second half was disastrous, as the Falcons conceded four goals in 11 minutes, including two within a minute of each other.

‘I was very pleased with the first half, but deeply disappointed with the second half’ Nichols said. ‘Credit to them [Michigan], they got the first goal and smelled blood in the water. They sensed that we were on our heel’s a little bit and went after it.’

The five goals the Falcons conceded are the most this year, and Wednesday’s defeat to the Wolverines is the seventh consecutive game for the team without a win.

After having been dismantled by the No. 24 Wolverines, the Falcons will find no relief in their next encounter as they head to Akron to face the Zips, the nation’s No. 1 team.

The Zips have won all six games they have played, including a 1-0 victory against No. 8 Indiana last week.

‘They are one of, if not the best team in the country,’ Nichols said. ‘They have great movement off the ball and great talent at all positions.’

Although Nichols preaches playing every game to win, defeating Akron will be a difficult test, as the Zips lead the all time series 37-8-3, the most recent result was a 2-0 victory at Cochrane Field.

‘Being able to play the No. 1 team in the country is a good thing, not too many schools can say that they have done that,’ Nichols said. ‘Having them in our conference is awesome.’

Reigning Mid-American Conference Player of the Week and leading Falcons goal scorer Cameron Hepple will miss his second straight game due to a groin injury, as will right back Chris McLean, who injured his shoulder in last weekends draw against IPFW.

But the Falcons will have Thomas Mclean back to face Akron; the junior was forced out of the game at Michigan with a lower leg injury but is expected to suit up tomorrow.