Richards has taken long journey to reach BG

Traveling from Warwick, England to Corvallis, Ore., to Bowling Green is a lot of miles, but for BG women’s soccer coach Andy Richards, it couldn’t have been a better trip.

Richards grew up across the pond in Warwick. He attended school there eventually receiving an undergraduate degree in education at Sheffield City Polytechnic.

Fresh out of college, he landed a job as a high school physical education teacher in England.

It was then time to jump over to America, but it wasn’t before he fell in love with the sport of ‘football, as we can call it back home.’

Richards became both a huge fan and an exceptional soccer player, and for him, that would be his golden ticket in America.

He went to Oregon State University in 1995 and pursued his master’s degree in education, while also acting as the graduate assistant coach to the women’s soccer team there. He also ran summer soccer camps in Oregon and Washington.

With his master’s degree in hand, Richards became the full-time assistant coach for the Beaver’s soccer program.

After three years of serving at this position, he wanted to be a head coach, so he began applying across the nation in hopes of landing his dream job.

That opportunity came from BG as Richards became coach of the women soccer team in 2000.

‘The first year is one of my favorites because we had to pull everyone together, [and we] got everyone excited,’ Richards said.

But the real highlight for the England native was 2005 because he led the Falcons to a Mid-American Conference championship along with a plethora of other awards.

‘We had MAC player of the year, freshman of the year, I won coach of the year, we won the regular season and the post-season,’ Richards said.

Since then Richards has continued to coach BG to many wins, and through more great moments.

‘Both senior co-captains could vouch for how hard he pushes the team.

And that’s just it. Richards hasn’t just helped his team on the field, but he had off the field as well.

One thing is for certain is Richards likes to win and have fun. It’s what’s worked for nine years now, and it’s what he will continue to do.

The Falcons are currently 4-5 this season, and have high hopes for returning to the post-season.

And for Richards, he’s just an Englishman in Bowling Green.