Men’s soccer staying in state this weekend

The Falcons will introduce a new lineup and formation this weekend, playing at Dayton today and home against IPFW on Sunday.

Sophomore Max Weston and freshman Chris McLean will get their first starts for the Falcons today, as they head to Dayton to play a Flyers team that was ranked in the top 20 in the preseason polls.

After traveling to Dayton (0-3-1) to face the Flyers, the Falcons will be home Sunday for the first time in five matches, when they host IPFW (2-2).

Jeff Smoker will be in goal for the Falcons, as he will look to strengthen his grip on the keepers job with good performances this weekend.

‘Jeff has been playing really well for us for the last 10 days,’ said coach Eric Nichols. ‘He let in some breakaway goal against Richmond, but those were not his fault.’

Nichols will use two holding midfielders against the Flyers – a team that he says tends to play a more direct approach to soccer.

Utilizing Joey D’Agostino and Dusko Topolic in the holding role may allow the Falcons to snuff out any fast break opportunities, as well as allow the tandem to control midfield possession.

This is the Falcons’ third formation change in six games this season.

McLean’s older brother Thomas, a striker for the Falcons, has been confident in his brother’s abilities from the start of the season.

‘He has been working hard and deserves the start,’ he said. ‘I have known from the beginning that he is good enough, and I’m happy for him.’

No matter how many formation or lineup changes the Falcons go through, forward Cameron Hepple is always penciled to start upfront.

‘Cameron is one of our best playmakers,’ Nichols said. ‘We go how Cameron goes.’

Hepple and his team will have to go hard this weekend if they want to pick up their first win in over two weeks.

Luckily for him, Weston will be looking to go hard with Hepple this weekend, as Nichols has granted the transfer his first start.

‘Everything is starting to click for us,’ Weston said. ‘We are going to have to play a complete game and take our chances well this weekend.’