Men’s soccer swept on weekend road trip

The Falcons were out-matched by a pair of teams from the Bluegrass State this weekend, as both Kentucky and Louisville handed the team defeats.

BG, playing in the University of Kentucky Invitational in Lexington, began the weekend against No. 25 Louisville.

The Falcons were able to hold the Cardinals goal-less in the first half, but parity was soon restored after the interval, as the Cardinals, led by Freddie Braun, scored three goals in the second period while shutting out the Falcons.

Being out-shot 19-9, the Falcons were forced to play in a more defensive-minded position, something they are not used to.

Coach Eric Nichols knew his team had a tough weekend ahead and was impressed by the Cardinals.

‘I was really impressed how they played,’ Nichols said. ‘They have a great style and are coached very well.’

The Falcon’s best play came in the first half as both teams took their chances.

Senior Thomas McLean and Cameron Hepple both had a chance to give the Falcons a lead but were denied by the post on both occasions.

Keeping them in the game was the play of redshirt freshman Jeff Smoker, who did not allow a goal on six shots.

Left back Tyler Deal thought the Falcons as a whole needed to improve in order to contend with the likes of Louisville.

‘I don’t think that they are better soccer players than we are,’ Deal said. ‘But they are a better soccer team.’

The Falcons were back at it on Sunday against tournament-host Kentucky.

BG was once again no match for the more experienced side, as Kentucky’s long ball tactics forced the Falcons to defend their own goal throughout the game, eventually losing 4-1.

Senior Jacob Lawrence, in his first game back from a pulled groin, had a difficult first half, picking up an early yellow card, then misreading a header, which led to a Kentucky goal.

‘I think we all realized we had made mistakes, Kentucky just out-worked us.’ Lawrence said. ‘But it’s great to play teams like this; it shows us where we need to improve.’

All was not lost though, as the Falcons grabbed a goal late in the game, as freshman Joey D’Agostino assisted a Byard Ebling strike.

Nichols thinks that these results may have a positive result on his players in the future.

‘If we just forget about this, it will just be a miserable result,’ Nichols said. ‘But if we remember this weekend and use it to improve our game, then it will be good for us.’

‘Good teams rarely get better from wins, but almost all teams get better from a loss.’

Deal and Ebling were named to the all-tournament team.

The Falcons will be on the field again this weekend as they travel to Pittsburgh to face Richmond and Duquesne.