After successful spring, Nichols excited to showcase team

After five years of struggling to get results under former coach Fred Thompson, the Falcon men’s soccer team is preparing to take the pitch under new coach Eric Nichols.

After a successful spring season in which the Falcons went 2-1 including wins against Findlay University and the University of Ashland, the Falcons are ready to get the regular season underway.

The Falcons’ most impressive spring performance may have come in a loss to defending Big Ten champions Michigan State. After dominating for the first 20 minutes, the Falcons could not hold off the Spartans in an eventual 1-0 loss.

Even after the Michigan State result, the team and its coaches are looking forward to starting the 18-game regular season schedule.

‘We are excited to showcase the team,’ Nichols said. ‘We are going to have a new look and a new feel this season, from the way we practice to the way we compete.’

Returning 20 players from last season, the Falcons are looking forward to improving on a 4-13-2 record, which saw them go without a win in the conference for the first time since 2007.

‘We don’t set our goals in terms of a win-loss record,’ Nichols said. ‘With that said, our goal is to win each game we play.’

The Falcons will turn to senior standout duo Jacob Lawrence and Cameron Hepple.

Lawrence, a Mid-American Conference All-Academic performer, will be the voice of the Falcon defense. Standing at 6-foot-2, Lawrence’s ability to command the back four will be vital if the Falcons hope to post any clean sheets this season.

‘Jacob is one of our best overall players,’ Nichols said. ‘He can play anywhere and perform. Our need right now is in central defense, so that’s where he will start the season.’

The defender’s size will also pay dividends in the attack, and having scored four goals last season, Lawrence is a prime target for Falcons.

‘It’s safe to say that Jacob will be going up for corner kicks and other set pieces,’ Nichols said. ‘He is very versatile, and he finds ways to score.’

If Lawrence will be the team’s rock on the backline, Hepple will be the motor that makes the Falcons frontline go.

A versatile left winger, the Bahamas native is explosive with the ball at his feet and has a nose goal. Combined with his crossing ability – which produced four assists last year – the Falcons have reason to be excited.

‘It’s really exciting to be playing attacking [soccer],’ Hepple said. ‘I want to go out there and score some goals and have a good time.’

After an early-season injury hampered his performance, Hepple eventually found his stride in last season, finishing second in total points with eight.

‘Cameron can be one of the best players in the conference,’ Nichols said. ‘He is one of the most explosive players I have seen. The question is with all that speed and on-the-ball ability, will be his productivity.’

Even though the front and back lines are well-off with Hepple and Lawrence, the coaching staff rates the midfield as the team’s most dynamic line.

Anchored by senior and co-captain Hunter Van Houten, the three-man midfield will play an important role linking up the defense with the team’s forwards.

Filling out the midfield will likely be the international duo of Dusko Topolic and Chris Jurtovski – from Serbia and Canada, respectively.

Coach Nichols has been impressed by his midfield’s preseason performance and is looking forward to their progression as a unit.

‘Our trio of midfielders are very good all-around players,’ Nichols said. ‘They will be the engine that makes our team go.’

Along with the newly implemented coaching staff, the Falcons will also introduce some new players to the squad, including freshman midfielder Joey D’Agostino, who will compete for playing time.

The Falcons will also introduce Max Weston – a transfer from Indiana University. The sophomore will compete for a place in the starting eleven as an attacking forward.

The Falcons will begin the regular season at home against Marshall at 1 p.m. Sept. 1. The Falcons and the Thundering Herd played an entertaining game last season, which ended in a double overtime 3-3 draw.