Catholic groups form new group Veritas

The newly formed Catholic worship organization, Veritas, aims to provide an inclusive environment for students of all beliefs and a forum for addressing and understanding issues of faith.

Veritas, which translates from Latin as ‘truth,’ is the product of combining Creed on Campus, the Catholic Newman Club and various off-campus Catholic organizations. Additionally, the organization is affiliated with St. Thomas More University Parish.

Rob Howler, a senior who serves as one of Veritas’ coordinators, said the primary functions of these groups remains unchanged.

‘We didn’t change the mission of the previous groups; we just brought them together under a single group to better serve the Catholic community,’ Howler said.

The organization’s president, senior Jon Marc Grodi, said Veritas is more than simply a worship group.

‘It’s also a place for people to learn about the faith, about what they believe and why they believe it,’ Grodi said. ‘A lot of students haven’t had time to examine the faith or really think about it. We really want to offer these students authentic Catholic teaching.’

Though Veritas is explicitly Catholic in its religious practices, it is a group in which all students should feel comfortable, Grodi said.

‘It’s a venue where students of other Christian denominations and even non-Christians should feel free to come and worship and discuss their beliefs,’ Grodi said.

Veritas will hold a number of events throughout the year.

The organization will host weekly meetings on Thursday evenings at 8 p.m. in the second floor gallery of the McFall Center.

Howler, who coordinates the Thursday night events, said they will include prayer, praise and worship and reflection. Howler said the Thursday meetings will also include a speaker educated in the Catholic faith who will talk about faith and morals.

In addition to the weekly meetings, Veritas will also go on monthly service trips.

Senior Amanda Powell, who serves as the service coordinator for Veritas, said the trips will range from serving the elderly to helping the homeless and poor, and each will encompass a specific Catholic social teaching.

On Sept. 5, the organization will visit a migrant camp in Fostoria.

With a focus on service and information in addition to worship, Grodi said non-Catholics shouldn’t feel unwelcome to Veritas.

‘We want people who are interested in worship or who just want information on the Catholic church to be able to come,’ he said.