Falcons play to second straight draw

The Falcon men’s soccer team battled to their second consecutive scoreless draw Wednesday in the team’s final preseason game.

Playing under the lights, the Falcon took the show on the road to Cleveland State University where the Vikings were 6-0-1 last season.

Cleveland State – who was runner up in last season’s Horizon league Tournament – fielded an experienced team, which returned 20 players from the previous season.

Although the action on the field started slowly, it was the Falcons that dictated the pace in the first half with six shots, three of which forced saves from Viking keeper Nick Harple.

When it comes to the Falcons’ lack of scoring, coach Eric Nichols believes the team is close to finding a breakthrough.

‘It’s going to come, we had some good opportunities,’ Nichols said. ‘We are creating good chances, and we have good flow. We are just not executing the final play.’

As the second half started, play began to open up for both teams, as the Vikings went close two times, only to see the lady luck fall on the side of the Falcons as those shots found the post, and crossbar respectively.

Although the Vikings best chances came in the second half, so did the Falcons’ best run of play.

‘They had better chances in the second half, but I think we played better,’ Nichols said.

‘Their keeper made some big time saves, one on Thomas [McLean] that went of the bar as well.’

McLean’s shot, which came in the game’s 86th minute, required the Viking keeper to make a superb stop.

‘The keeper made the save of his life on Thomas’ shot,’ captain Jacob Lawrence said. ‘We had our chances, but couldn’t put them away.’

Lawrence was also a part of the Falcon defense that has now gone 180 minutes without conceding a goal.

‘We are trying to be solid on the back line,’ Lawrence said. ‘We are playing our A-game right now, especially in our defense of set pieces.’

Nichols took time to praise standout left back Tyler Deal, who lead the Falcons in shot attempts, no small feat for a defender.

‘Tyler was big time at left back, he got forward well.’ Nichols said.

Deal, a senior, is relishing in his new role as the teams free kick taker, one of those attempts was a shot on goal.

‘I have been practicing free kicks all summer,’ Deal said. ‘I am hoping someone can get a head on one of them and we can get a goal,’ he said.

Today the team begins preparation for the regular season opener against Marshall. The team will host the thundering Herd Tuesday at 1 p.m.