Men’s soccer takes on Michigan State in final home game of season

For the second time in just under seven days, the men’s soccer team will face off against a nationally ranked opponent, as the #15 Spartans of Michigan State (11-3) will visit the Falcons today.

For the Falcons, (5-5-2), the game will be the last of the season at Cochrane field as the team will play its remaining four games on the road.

The Spartans will watch as it will be ‘Senior Day’ for the Falcons, and four Falcons will play their last game at Bowling Green. Midfielders Dusko Topolic, Robert Barker, Garrett Bireline and defensive captain Thomas Mclean will all be honored at halftime as their career at Cochrane field will come to an end.

The Falcons opponents Michigan State present a tough challenge for the Falcons as they are vying for a Big 10 title of their own.

Junior Max Weston, who leads the team in nearly every offensive category, sees the opportunity that comes with playing an elite team such as the Spartans.

“Tomorrows game is a big opportunity for us,” Weston said. “Michigan St. is a highly ranked team, we are going to have to out work them if we expect to get a result.”

Junior goalkeeper Miguel Rosales wants to make sure that the team sends their four seniors out on a high note.

“We are all playing like it is our last game ever,” Rosales said. “We want to send these guys off on a high note, no matter what the outcome, as long as we play our best we can’t do wrong, no matter the result.”

The Falcons record may not seem much more than mediocre to the average viewer, but the Falcons can take pride in the fact that they are .500 this late in a season for the first time in seven years, something Rosales credits Coach Eric Nichols for.

“Coach has really brought a winning atmosphere to us,” the Falcon keeper said. “He teaches us to play with heart and regardless the outcome, we will be OK.”

But Nichols knows the Falcons will need more than heart to pull off an upset against one of the Midwest’s elite teams.

“A game like this will tell us a lot about ourselves, while preparing us for the important conference games we have coming up,” Nichols said. “On paper they may have superior athletes, this is what our guys want to do, they want to challenge themselves against the best, these games are great.”

Kickoff for the matchup will be at 3 p.m.