Men’s soccer emphasizes speed, agility

The men’s soccer team is increasing its work ethic to bounce back from a rough fall season by incorporating new methods and faces into its game plan.

With an overall record of 3-12-3 in the fall 2009 season, coach Eric Nichols enters his second season with determination to improve the team’s record through more intensive training, emphasizing soccer specific work out routines.

Nichols said the coaching staff worked together with the strength and conditioning program to create a summer routine to “build optimal soccer players.”

“Some guys have a harder time of connecting the glory of winning a game back to what gets them there, which is the work,” Nichols said. “The successful athletes are really able to connect the actual work they are doing … by themselves, in the middle of the dog days of summer, with actually winning a game in the fall.”

Both Nichols and junior captain Tanner Fink stress the importance of leg exercises, as soccer is not a sport that requires tremendous upper body strength.

“These guys are not massive muscle-bound guys,” Nichols said. “They’re very quick, and they’re agile, so everything we do in that program is geared toward that.”

According to Fink, sprints are heavily featured exercises, with several breaks being taken in an effort to improve recovery times. Fink said that one of the team’s weaknesses last year was a tendency to run out of energy around the 70 minute mark.

“Fitness is something coach really emphasizes,” Fink said. “I know I’ve bought into it and the guys here for the summer have … we’re going to have to lead on the other guys that are at home.”

Fink is one of four players who have been training on campus during the summer, and he feels the experience helps keep his game sharp.

“I think [on-campus training] is going to pay off when the fall season comes around for us four,” Fink said. “Hopefully [those at home] have been keeping up their workouts.”

Nichols has noticed the work Fink and his teammates have been doing over the summer. He attributed this to the coaching staff raising its expectations in January after the main fall season, but before the spring season which consists of exhibition games.

“I feel like the team has invested more in the off-season than they have since any of these guys have been here,” Nichols said. “Our feedback is that our guys are staying committed to the program … but we will know for sure when they get back.”

The team has already experienced success with its spring exhibition season, with a 5-1-2 record. Nichols noted that the fall season boasts stronger teams, so continued training is important.

“We don’t want to get ahead of ourselves,” Nichols said. “We still have a long way to go but we definitely took some good strides forward.”

Fink credits Nichols with creating a good team atmosphere, making it comfortable to come into his office and discuss things on the team. He also said that the fall 2009 season consisted largely of Nichols getting to know the players, both as people as well as their playing styles.

By the time January rolled around, Fink said the team had a better idea of where its pieces fit together, and practices intensified.

“He thrives on making the team better,” Fink said.

A major ingredient to a successful team is chemistry, so the entire team is coming to the campus on July 25 when the freshmen will be living with the upperclassmen in an effort to be integrated with the team, according to Fink.

Nichols believes that field performance is affected by how comfortable players are socially, and said that the upperclassmen are going to work with strength and conditioning to host the freshmen. Other team-building activities may include paintball and bowling.

Nichols said last year’s seniors were “great players” and “team members,” but he is also looking forward to working with the 12 new players coming into the program, including transfers Miguel Rosales from the University of Cincinnati and Brandon Silva from the University of Akron.

“We’re really excited about what they bring to the field and even to the team chemistry,” Nichols said. “We think these are great students, great athletes and great people.”

The players are able to practice with the coaching staff on August 16 onward, when the preseason begins.

Nichols said he is looking forward to the next season.

“Everyone left in the program and everyone we’re bringing in are very committed to being successful and doing the work it takes,” Nichols said.

Fink said he is confident in his team’s ability to have a good season.

“Hard work and commitment are the two things on the field and off the field that are going to lead us to success,” Fink said. “I really believe the guys on the team can do that and I know they know that, too.”