Falcon golfers hit the links

While the golf teams are not technically required to practice over the summer, the coaches and players know continued practice is integral to building success in the next season.

The NCAA limits the amount of player-coach interaction during the summer months, but the players keep busy with exercise regimens, tournament participation and improving their game in any way possible.

For many players, tournament participation allows them to stay competitive while providing the opportunity to play with individuals from different skill levels.

Women’s sophomore Susy Grunden, fresh off a record-breaking season, is playing in four tournaments during the summer. She recently tied for 16th place in the Texas Women’s Open and is gearing up to play in the U.S. Women’s Amateur qualifier on July 19.

“[It was] a great experience,” Grunden said. “I was able to compete with pros and I was in strong contention after the first day.”

Women’s senior Lauren Glew (who will co-captain with her sister Marisa) also believes tournament play to be beneficial for players.

“Summer tournaments are great for tune-ups and figuring out what will be best to focus your summer practice on,” Glew said.

Glew said that she usually participates in 3 to 5 tournaments during the summer. With a full-time internship, however, she has adjusted her schedule to practicing on weeknights and weekends. Glew still finds the summer to be a great time for improvement.

“The summer gives you more freedom to try new things and make changes,” Glew said. “In season, there is such a small window of time, so you mostly just play with what you have at the time.”

Some other players do not participate in tournaments during the summer, but find other ways to challenge themselves.

Men’s sophomore Wes Gates is working at a facility of the renowned Hank Haney golf school in Texas, at which one of his tasks involves teaching kids at summer camps. He also uses the opportunity to take lessons on his own.

“The summer makes me feel far more confident about my game,” Gates said. “I am feeling very good about my game and hope to carry my good play into the fall season.”

Grunden said that it is how hard a player works that determines whether the summer increases confidence.

“For me [the summer] definitely does,” Grunden said.

As far as exercising goes, that is left up to the players, though several exercises are encouraged. Glew said the Strength and Conditioning Department gave the teams a program consisting of a full-body workout and a half-hour of cardio.

“It is not a monitored thing, but to the best of my knowledge everybody holds themselves accountable for staying in shape,” Glew said. “Accountability is big for our team.”

This philosophy is not lost on the golf coaches, whose advice stays with the players as they train over the summer. Gates mentioned coach Garry Winger taught him several useful methods to utilize in the summer. Glew also said that she applies a lot of what the team practices with coach Stephanie Young to her summer training.

The coaches both place high importance on summer practice.

“When they come back in the fall, it shows who put the effort in [during the summer] and who did not,” Winger said.

Practices resume for both teams on the first day of classes. Only five players can travel with the team for tournaments, meaning the first few weeks of practice involve lots of playing and practice with the short game, according to Young.

“It’s a very important process to put them through competitive situations and pressure situations,” Young said. “I need to find out who has put in the work over the summer, and who’s ready to play right out of the gate.”

A major task for the coaches to work on during the summer is recruiting, which Winger said generally begins on the first of June and heats up during July, with the coaches traveling to several junior tournaments.

Young is excited for what the 2010-2011 team’s roster has to offer.

“We’re looking at an experienced team, so the expectations are ramped up now where we’re looking to climb even further in the MAC standings,” Young said

Both Glew and Grunden share Young’s enthusiasm.

“The team has improved tremendously over the last couple years and I see us only getting better,” Glew said.

Gates also has high hopes for the men’s team.

“I see our team building on a successful 2009-10 season,” Gates said. “I see our team being just as successful, if not more successful, than last year.”