Women’s basketball falls to Ohio

The Falcon women’s basketball team fell to the Ohio Bobcats 70-63 on Saturday afternoon, ending the team’s two game winning streak.

The Falcons were led by senior guard Haley Puk with 14 total points, while junior guard Sydney Lambert added 13 points. Carly Santoro provided 13 points along with 9 rebounds.

Ohio showcased a balanced offensive attack with six players scoring seven points or more in the contest. Cierra Hooks led the way with 20 points and eight rebounds and Gabby Burris contributed 12 points.

The Falcons played the Bobcats tough for the majority of the contest. The score was all tied up at the end of the first. The third quarter was much of the same with Ohio coming out that period only up one point.

“Starting off, we pushed tempo and got open looks, hit the passes and made our shots,” Puk said. “We really played well as a team. But then their defense picked up, and it really slowed down our tempo. We just didn’t get the looks we got in the first half.”

The Falcons suffered from a 5 minute scoreless drought which eventually led to Ohio sneaking out of Bowling Green with a crucial conference win. This loss drops Bowling Green to 10-8 overall, while Ohio draws even with the Falcons with the win at 10-8 overall as well.

“Stuff we were able to get in the first half, we were unable to get in the fourth quarter,” Falcons head coach Jennifer Roos said. “We went scoreless for five minutes. We can’t go scoreless for that many minutes. I thought it would go back-and-forth, and they had the last ‘back.’”

This loss also dropped the Falcons to 2-5 in the MAC.

“We really wanted to get this win so we could be 3-0 against the (MAC) East,” Puk said. “But we’re not going to put our heads down. We always keep fighting. So we’re going to keep pushing.”

The team will next play Wednesday night on the road against the Ball State Cardinals.